Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't judge those who don't do this...but I really think it's more personal to do this.

Posted by   + Show Post

So my SD's 10th birthday is coming up and all she can talk about is the type of cake she wants. I always make the cake myself and I make it personal for my family members. They tell me general shape or style of cake they want, what flavor cake and frosting and I go from there.

I always find store bought cakes...almost distasteful and impersonal.

So I just ordered a monkey shaped cake pan for SD's birthday (she wants a jungle themed party) and I was wondering if any other moms out there still make their kids' birthday cakes. I don't know anyone my age (late 20's) who does, they all buy store bought.

Here are a few cakes from the last year. My DH doesn't like frosting but LOVES gummy worms...so I tried to compromise on his cake.

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Replies (61-70):
lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM
I make all of them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Same.

Quoting Groove:

We're a vegan family so I have no option but to make our cakes at home.

Aleta775
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM
My dd does not like cake. Last year, I baked her some brownies. I'm not sure what I will make this year.
My dh likes a cherry chocolate cake, with a hard chocolate shell.
I like cheesecakes. My dh always makes a killer cheesecake for my birthday
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM
I have made all but one. The one I didn't make my mom ordered from BR as we decided to extend our vacation visit so we could spend dd's birthday with my family
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM

My dad was a professional baker he did ours we couldn't do it well enough for him then. Now, I just make a plain old cake.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM

It's cool you make your own cakes. I actually have to make my son's birthday cake. He is allergic to cow's milk, wheat, eggs, and peanuts. Makes it a little hard to get one made at the bakery! Now for my daughter, I have bought bakery cakes for her birthdays. She is 3. I went all out for her first birthday and got an expensive cake because I totally missed out on that whole experience with my son. He also has some other problems. I'm also not a talented baker. I may make her cake for her 4th birthday. 

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I still make cakes for my kids. I went through the cake like an xbox, a racetrack cake, and a very complicated castle cake...then I decided that my kids expected a bit too much. LOL My youngest and only daughter hs never had a fancy cake---she is content with a cake in a 13x9" pyrex pan with a few candles in it.

We did throw her a Hawaiian themed party last year that was just so fun, cheap and easy to do. It was the best party ever.

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this

This was my ds1 birthday cake last year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2little1s
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I am making a Mine craft cake tomorrow for DS's birthday.

I made a Mario cupcake cake for her birthday last year.
I will post the pic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dudestfd
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM

We have been doing professional cakes for a hobby for 6 yrs or so... My mom has invested thousands of dollars in pans and utensils, it is just crazy all the crap she has lol

Quoting msfila1980:

all I can say is wow! thats awesome

Quoting dudestfd:

This is the cake we will be making for dd this yr :) She will be 2 in April.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)