Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how to explain special needs to a 5 year old.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
We went a indoor play area yesterday, DD saw a flyer for special needs day. She kept wanting me to explain it to her. She kept saying that babies have special needs, then went on to explain to me why she thinks everyone is special needs. It was cute, how at 5 she chose to group people together as a whole. However I feel like I need to explain to her what special needs really means. I just can't find the words.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the.warden
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM
However you do it, make it good. My son is 4 and already gets ridiculed for being different
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I told my children that special needs children are children choosen by God to be special. Thier specialty makes the sometimes look or act different. I used children that we knew that had special needs.That we shoulod all be in awe of these chosen children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
DD is super kind hearted. I want to answer questions... but the words aren't forming.

Quoting the.warden:

However you do it, make it good. My son is 4 and already gets ridiculed for being different

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Be honest and direct, use examples. Young children can be more accepting of people's differences if its just explained to them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
The issue is that she's been taught people are equal! Different, but equal. No one is better then anyone kinda thing.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I told my children that special needs children are children choosen by God to be special. Thier specialty makes the sometimes look or act different. I used children that we knew that had special needs.That we shoulod all be in awe of these chosen children.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I would say that some people may have medical problems or learn differently than others. Those people need to have different things- ways to help them move around, ways to help them behave, ways to help them learn- and those are their "special needs."

iluvmy2somuch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I would find a good article on it for children and read it to her and then explain of course that just, because they are mentally slower doesn't make them different in Gods eyes and that everybody no matter the mental capability is still a person nonetheless. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Be honest and straight forward. I've always used whatever age my dds have been at as examples, I do physical first because this lays a better ground work for needs that are not physically seen. I let them know everyone has needs and everyone is special, that sometimes extra help is needed whether its a teacher taking extra time to teach a different way or a service dog. I am dyslexic, so that helps too because I use how hard it was for mommy to learn to read and the extra help I needed. I know an LD isn't the same, but I feel it helps humanize a person and let's the child get a better understanding that different isn't bad and sometimes can't be helped. So far, all three have understood and all three have always treated everyone with kindness and consideration. My oldest will be 20 in June and youngest will be 6 in July.
DonnaNoble
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I like this.

Quoting momtolittleg:

I would say that some people may have medical problems or learn differently than others. Those people need to have different things- ways to help them move around, ways to help them behave, ways to help them learn- and those are their "special needs."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Maybe start by asking her to tell you something shes good at??? And then ask her to tell you something one of her friends is good at? And then a sibling and so on. Then have her talk about something she has a hard time with? And something a friend has a hard time with (homework, kicking a ball, spelling, ect...) Use that to start the conversation, explaining that everyone excels at something and it makes us unique. The same way that our challenges in life make us unique. Then go into how sometimes you can see some people challenges and things they excel at on the outside.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)