Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anybody have kids that can't stand sounds

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM
  • 17 Replies

My dd is 13 and she drives me crazy sometimes. She can't stand noises, like me breathing, the sound of me chewing, tapping my fingers, moving my tongue inside my mouth, any little noises that i can't even really hear, she hears and it drives her bonkers. She's always telling me to be quiet. I try to ignore her most of the time but sometimes I get so annoyed with her that I want to scream.

She has other sensory issues that are not quite as annoying to me, but irritating nonetheless. She can't stand the way certain clothes feel, can't stand certain foods bc of the texture. She won't sleep with a top sheet bc it moves during the night and bugs her. 

In addition to little noises she hates loud noises. When she was little she would cry and cover her ears if we went somewhere loud, but now she tolerates it to some extent, but she still doesn't like going to the movies, concerts, anywhere with large crowds. She's also a bit fanatical about germs sometimes. She hates using public restrooms, but she also hates washing her hands bc she has dry skin and the water dries her hands out. If her hands get dry, they will burn and itch like crazy. Anybody else have a kid like this?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HerLadyGrey
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM

We all have that problem in my house. So we all often wear ear plugs or put on white noise.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
I'll be 37 here in a bit and she sounds a lot like me. I wish I could just mute the whole world
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM

my DS who is ASD is like this.. he is 5 and he cannot stand the lowest of the lowest noises.. it drives us crazy, but we are teaching him how to correct the issues.. headphones, walking away, etc

SillySally83
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM

ds1 used to have major sensory issues with loud sounds and he had issues with crowds and social settings. through gradual introduction of these things he tolorates them now (doesn't if he is tired/grumpy) but I have found ways to alleviate his issues that he still has problems with (mostly social settings). he is 5 though so I don't know if that will help you

Pink.Frosting
I know I sound like a scrooge, but I'm so ready for Christmas to be over this year. Our poor tree is haggard looking from being attacked by cats. I just want it *down* and to have my living room back to *normal.* Bah Humbug...
Yesterday at 12:35 PM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Me, my dh and our daughter despise loud noises.  Me and dh can't stand listening to tapping noises or repetitive sounds.  And the sound of someone eating or drinking will make me leave the room.  Seriously, a room full of toddles with sippy cups would send me right over the edge.  My daughter and I don't like crowds either.

You kind of sound annoyed with your dd about these things. That really won't help.  She feels the way she feels and it's real and legitimate.  I hope you don't let on to her that you're annoyed.  :0(  It doesn't even necessarily have to be a sensory issue.  Things like this are really common among a lot of people.

mariesmama
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

she has spd sensory processing disorder my kid cannot stand trains we've always lived near traintracks  she will not wear corduroy or fleece but yet her favorite blanket is fleece she cannot stand anything on her hands and comes to me saying icky hands a gajillion times a day she's 3 so she's not very self sufficient yet

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

EDIT: Looks like other people beat me to it! LOL.

Look into Sensory Integration Disorder!!! Sounds like she might have that. Look at the symptoms for teenagers. :-)

http://spdsupport.org/resources/teen-spd-symptoms.shtml

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Oh, yes. DD is 3 1/2 and cannot stand the sound of the hand dryer in public restrooms. This is quite difficult considering, she's fairly recently toilet trained and cannot afford the time to throw a fit if she "doesn't like the bathroom."  She hates loud noises (well, who likes them?). She goes nuts if she hears the blender or vacuum cleaner. As a child, I, too hated loud noises. I still hate fireworks. Both dd and I have a high startle reflex.

pce68
by Patti on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM

i think she does have that. The dr never suggested that when she was younger, and now i don't think there is much they could do for it. Most of the time she and I have learned to handle it, but occasionally it will really get on my nerves. I try to be patient but every so often it just gets too much and i get really annoyed.

Quoting Anonymous:

EDIT: Looks like other people beat me to it! LOL.

Look into Sensory Integration Disorder!!! Sounds like she might have that. Look at the symptoms for teenagers. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN