Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do I???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
So I need to take a cash advance from my credit card.

I wrote a check and forgot to add it to my register. It will clear in the next couple days but I don't have enough in the account.

I have $2,500 available on my credit card. How do I do a cash advance? Can I just go to the ATM like I would to take money out of the bank?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyT642
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I think it works like that. Call the customer service number on the back of the card and ask them how to go about doing a cash advance.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM

You do know they charge a huge percentage rate for taking out a cash advance and maybe even fees.  You might want to check the cost of a cash advance against the cost of an overdraft fee.  I've never done it but I'm sure they have the information for you on their website about the ways it can be done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Thanks

Quoting MommyT642:

I think it works like that. Call the customer service number on the back of the card and ask them how to go about doing a cash advance.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM

You still use checks?

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Yes, you just go to the ATM like you would with a bank card. The interest rates on cash advances are usually outrageous though so make sure you can pay it off right away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I would do that but the check was for my insurance and if it gets returned my insurance gets cancelled automatically.

Quoting Anonymous:

You do know they charge a huge percentage rate for taking out a cash advance and maybe even fees.  You might want to check the cost of a cash advance against the cost of an overdraft fee.  I've never done it but I'm sure they have the information for you on their website about the ways it can be done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
No, you take your card to the bank and they will fill out a cash advance form for you. You have to sign it. Most cards have a $500 Atm withdrawal limit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Yes, my insurance only takes checks

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

You still use checks?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I only need $300, but why would I need to take my card to the bank? What does the bank have to do with it?

Quoting Anonymous:

No, you take your card to the bank and they will fill out a cash advance form for you. You have to sign it. Most cards have a $500 Atm withdrawal limit.

AmericanDream
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM

She's probably assuming your card is through your bank.  Mine is so if I need a cash advance I either call my bank... or go to the bank. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I only need $300, but why would I need to take my card to the bank? What does the bank have to do with it?

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)