Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think I have Hodkins lymphoma

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Im really concerned I have it because for the last year I have been having enlarged lymph nodes over my whole body (neck, chest, armpits, groin). They sometimes hurt and seem to become inflamed after excessive activity or drinking (even just one or two drinks). They seems to be extremely sensitive. And now I think my spleen may be enlarged because I can no longer eat large meals without the area under my left rib cage hurting and having a full feeling. Im very scared and starting to really worry. I had mentioned the nodes to my doctor before but they didnt seem worried.

DH and I are TTC and now im so scared to go to the doctor because I will probably have this and have to stop TTC or possibly even die.

I just went through Severe Dysplasia (Pre-Cervical Cancer) and have to have part of my cervix removed. Im only 26 but it just feels like its one thing after another, the first cancer scare was bad enough im just scared of potentially going through another.

ETA: For everyone thats being rude and attacking me about not going to the doctor, if you read above I DID. I even mentioned it to the OBGYN who treated me for my dysplasia. Neither seemed concerned, the first didnt even bother to exam me and the second just said they are a little swollen and that can happy for many reasons. Not much help there!! 

Also being able to just see another doctor isnt so simple. We have tricare (military insurance) and are required to go on base and see a PCM who is a nurse practitioner, we dont see doctors. I have to go through a process to request in change of PCM so that I can see another doctor. Tricare has to approve that, its not so simple as just making an appointment. Thats why im asking questions on here, its sometimes eases your mind if you have others who have been through the same thing and can give you advice...rather than being attacked when your scared. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Quoting Melissa_4:

You think you may have a life threatening condition and you're worried about having to stop TTC?  You've had these symptoms for the better part of a year and are still not seeing a doctor for them, and have self-diagnosed a very serious condition.  I'd not only go see my MD for a complete battery of tests, but also a therapist because you sound like someone who's got Munchausen syndrome.

As for the severe dysplasia, I had it too, and went on to have four children after.  

If you read in my OP it states I did see my doctor but he didnt seem to care. I am currently waiting for a PCM change so I can see a doctor that will actually examine me. And I dont have Munchhausen, im not trying to "get attention" these are actual symptoms that im feeling that are not in my mind. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM

You are dying for attention, aren't you? I am personally offended by your post. It isn't a cancer scare until you have been to the doctor & had testing done.

My father died from lymphoma. He was diagnosed in January & gone in June. It is a very serious cancer & I promise you that you would have gotten really sick by now. Well, if it's true what you said about having the symptoms for a year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

You are dying for attention, aren't you? I am personally offended by your post. It isn't a cancer scare until you have been to the doctor & had testing done.

My father died from lymphoma. He was diagnosed in January & gone in June. It is a very serious cancer & I promise you that you would have gotten really sick by now. Well, if it's true what you said about having the symptoms for a year.

I wasnt trying to offend anyone. And im not dying for attention in any way, why would I post anon???
I just went through one scare and im just scared at the possibility of another. I have been having issues with my current PCM he has not clue what hes doing and didnt even seem to care that my nodes had been swollen. He didnt even exam them to see if they were swollen. I thought maybe it was due to the dysplasia but Ive have surgery to have those pre-cancerous cells removed and the nodes are still swollen.

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Never ever let a doctor blow you off.  Insist on testing. It is your insurance not his.  If he won't do it, find another doctor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Honestly hun, it sounds a lot more like mono. It can last a long time, and once the Epstein-Barr virus is in your body, it can flare up randomly throughout your life, especially during times of stress.

See a doctor who will take you seriously, and ask them to specifically test for this. I've had a pretty consistent struggle with it myself. There's nothing they can do, but at least it'll put your mind at ease.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly hun, it sounds a lot more like mono. It can last a long time, and once the Epstein-Barr virus is in your body, it can flare up randomly throughout your life, especially during times of stress.

See a doctor who will take you seriously, and ask them to specifically test for this. I've had a pretty consistent struggle with it myself. There's nothing they can do, but at least it'll put your mind at ease.

I actually had mono when I was 15, I never really thought about it. I started having more issues after I had my daughter, my health has honestly not been the best since I was a kid and it hasnt gotten any better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I'm sorry about your dad. I can understand why it's a sensitive topic for you.

I don't get the impression OP is trying to get attention. Jumping to conclusions, yes. That's pretty normal after recently being diagnosed with dysplasia, which is cervical cancer. Health anxiety is pretty common after a diagnosis like that. I don't think it's a cry for attention at all, she's just voicing her anxiety and trying to get some other ideas.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM
You may be havin a flare up then. I had mono and dudnt have a flare up for over 8 years. And a pregnancy can definitely cause it too. The flare ups can be even more debilitating than the initial mono. Have them check your Epstein-Barr levels.

Lymphoma usually comes on quick and has more severe symptoms than you are having. If you're Googling your symptoms, take the search results with a grain of salt. If cold symptoms are Googled, it'll say you have cancer. lol

Breathe, and find a better doc. :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually had mono when I was 15, I never really thought about it. I started having more issues after I had my daughter, my health has honestly not been the best since I was a kid and it hasnt gotten any better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Lol thank you I appreciate that I know I shouldn't google, my health just has been crap lately and its given me a lot of anxiety. If it is a flair up of that is there anything the doctor can do to help me??

Quoting Anonymous:

You may be havin a flare up then. I had mono and dudnt have a flare up for over 8 years. And a pregnancy can definitely cause it too. The flare ups can be even more debilitating than the initial mono. Have them check your Epstein-Barr levels.

Lymphoma usually comes on quick and has more severe symptoms than you are having. If you're Googling your symptoms, take the search results with a grain of salt. If cold symptoms are Googled, it'll say you have cancer. lol

Breathe, and find a better doc. :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

dx1066
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Our good friend has Stage 3 Hodgkins Lymphoma right now.  He found out right before Christmas.  He had a large lump up by his shoulder blade.  He started out at Stage 1, and then they found cancer in his spleen.  They also tested his bone marrow, because there was likelihood he had it there, but thank GOD, it came back negative.  We are having a benefit for him and his family this weekend.  He has a 3 year old son, and they just found out they were pregnant a couple of weeks before he found out he had cancer.  I would definitely push your doctor to look into it, because everyone was telling our friend that lymph nodes swell, and that it was normal.  Even some of my friends who are nurses told him this.  They told him it's the body's way of fighting infection.  He just knew something wasn't right and so he pushed his Dr to do a biopsy.  Good thing he did.  He has a long road ahead of him, and probably won't be able to be in the delivery room in May because of his radiation, but they are still hopeful and giving him a pretty good prognosis.  Good luck and if you really feel something is wrong, push, push, push you Dr. to do something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured