Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tax question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
Okay my dh works fulltime and pulled in 27000 this year. We have three children and we are getting 8400 back . Last year we got more
Now my sister her dh only pulled in 11000 for the year. She has four children and she is getting only 5000 back
Now she lives in a different state also
Why am i getting more back when she obviously is making less
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
moneysaver6
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM
A person's withholding will help determine what they get back.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM
We make sure its the lowest
He claims 0 i believe

Quoting moneysaver6:

A person's withholding will help determine what they get back.
PerfectVirgo
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM
The mire you pay into taxes, the more you get because you get it all back. She only gets what she paid in. Plus the EIC.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM
It all depends on your tax bracket and on how much you have taken out through the year in deductions. On your W9 you may have claimed 0 dependents (getting back less per check but more refund) or they could have claimed 4 dependents meaning less take out of each check but more paid at years end.

Honesty if you are getting any money back you claimed too many deductions and gave the government an interest free loan for the year. Correct your W9. You want to get close to a net 0 refund/due.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamatocaleb
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

It could be partially the state withholdings. But I think you both got a substantial amount to do some wonderful things with.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Would rather not. Because of a stupid mistake the irs made i ended up paying them a grand. Not my fault and i got the money back but i rather them take it now and get it back later

Quoting JamesMom714:

It all depends on your tax bracket and on how much you have taken out through the year in deductions. On your W9 you may have claimed 0 dependents (getting back less per check but more refund) or they could have claimed 4 dependents meaning less take out of each check but more paid at years end.

Honesty if you are getting any money back you claimed too many deductions and gave the government an interest free loan for the year. Correct your W9. You want to get close to a net 0 refund/due.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Also, you get less back in EIC making 11,000 than you would at say, 17,000. You get the most back at the 17 then after that, the EIC starts going back down. Plus everything said above plays a part as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Stock up on food ( sams club) new tires and windshield, dd needs a new bed, tune up for the car and next seasons clothes for the kids

Quoting mamatocaleb:

It could be partially the state withholdings. But I think you both got a substantial amount to do some wonderful things with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)