Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't want to know

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM
  • 24 Replies

so why does it seem that (many) people who are gay want to tell the world what their sexual preference is?  I don't go about telling everyone that I'm heterosexual, it's none of anyone else's business and I don't want to advertise to the world.  I don't tell people if I'm for or against gay marriage, again, it's really just my business, why would I want to broadcast it to the world?  I'm a 'don't-ask-don't-tell' kind of person, I'm more than my sexuality and which team I play for is my business, not anyone elses.  I don't want to KNOW things about you like who you like sexually, or if you're an alcoholic, or if you're a serial adulterer, or WHATEVER.  Why do people broadcast this information?

In the past I've been in the process of turning an acquaintance into a friend when they brought up that they drank a fifth of scotch every night.  WTF?  I didn't need to know this, but it did cool my changing the friendship status from acquaintance to friend.  I suppose that had I too, been a heavy drinker, this would have helped to speed the friendship relationship and we'd have had one more thing in common, instead, since I rarely drink, I decided this way the type of relationship that I didn't need to get any closer.  I had a similar situation with a gal who (on the way to friendship) decided to tell me that she went to the local swingers club every weekend, okay, that's not me and we probably don't have as much in common as I first thought. 

Why do so many gay people want to make sure that others KNOW that they are gay?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catrig
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I'm not sure why it matters. You should be able to handle people telling you things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

banging head into wall

SillySally83
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Maybe so they know if that person is going to hate them when they eventually find out? Mayyyyyyyybe????

Elly219
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Maybe they have been burned in the past by someone finding out that he/she is gay and wants to avoid the whole situation. 

I would like some more information from you.  Are you talking about someone saying hey I am gay/lesbian or what if they are saying my girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband and I did blah blah blah?

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Wow
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovemyfriend
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Perhaps because, sadly, there is a stereotype / negative connotation along with being gay, so to avoid it, and to save themselves unnecessary hurt, they just come out with it.

mcclainprincess
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM
So someone shares something personal with you and your response is "i don't wanna know." Maybe they thought they could trust and confide in you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Um, I don't go around IRL telling everyone I'm a lesbian. But if they see me out with my wife, they probably figure it out on their own. However, I do deal with awkward moments EVERY single day, because in my line of work, I feel it's best to stay closeted to the majority of my clients. Many of my clients like to make conversation with me. Inevitably, with the way small talk goes, they ask if I am married, and I say yes. Then they ask what my husband does. Then I proceed to carry on the whole conversation using almost no pronouns whatsoever. It sounds really weird. But I refuse to use male pronouns, because I'm not going to lie. At the worse, I resort to be grammatically incorrect. "What does your husband do?" "Shift supervisor at Starbucks." That sucks for me. I wish I didn't feel that I need to be closeted at work. But because of people like YOU, OP, I do. So, I hope you're happy. I do this shit for your comfort, not mine. 

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Oh yeah, and in case it wasn't clear, it makes me really unhappy to be unable to be who I am at work, but because of the nature of my work, uptight prats like you would be uncomfortable being repeat clients if you knew I'm gay. So I'm stuck being unable to have a conversation like a normal human being just for the sake of your "comfort zone." Never mind that my lovely clients in return tell me about everything from their sex lives to their bowel movements. Just wanted to clarify more on the situation. 

hhhanna
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I'm not that rude, I don't say 'I don't want to know' - it's just that I don't (and most people I know don't) talk about their sexual preferences, so I don't understand why someone 'comes out' to me (or anyone).

Quoting mcclainprincess:

So someone shares something personal with you and your response is "i don't wanna know." Maybe they thought they could trust and confide in you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)