Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should we change everything for our child??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 150 Replies
My 10 y/o son wants to be vegetarian and says he cant stand the sight of meat at all. He wants us all to stop eating meat. All of us is me, DH, our 8 y/o, 2 y/o, and MIL. I seen in another post someone say you shouldnt force a lifestyle on your kids and well thats what DS is saying we are doing so wth should I do?? He is on a hunger strike until we get rid of all the meat or anything to do with dead animals, food or not(our leather couches!). Meanwhile MIL DH and our 8 y/o are very against giving up meat. Help!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM
50 moms liked this

I would tell your 10 year old that he can give up meat but he has no right to make decisions for everyone else.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM
4 moms liked this

Wow how stubborn! This could be a good lesson in tolerance for him. Liberal ideas are justifiable and worthy but he must remember that not everyone thinks like he does. Good luck.

2ninos4me
by Mrs.Erika2 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
No . He has to get use to seeing meat in other peoples' dinner/lunch etc . Should the restaurants he is taken to or the school that he attends stop serving meat too ??!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I would tell him you are willing to go X amount of meals meat free but no way would I allow a child to dictate my food let alone try to force the issue through self harming tantrum
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Luckily today is only day 1 of the strike. I threatened to take him to the hospital if he keeps it up. Its not like we're trying to serve him rare steak.

Quoting mommy_me:

I would tell him you are willing to go X amount of meals meat free but no way would I allow a child to dictate my food let alone try to force the issue through self harming tantrum
AprilDJC
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
No, you shouldnt. He should not think he can make demands of everyone else just to please him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

he will get hungry enough he will cave. I wouldn't let a 10 yr old dictate my life

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I would not stop my lifestyle as long as it wasnt dangerous. Let him go on a hunger strinke...he will get hungry eventually.

KayLundy3
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm sorry.. but who the hell does your ten year old think he is? He won't eat until the rest of the family thinks his way, and does what he wants? Um he'd be a very hungry little boy! Tell him you are willing to change his meals and support his diet, but he gets no say in what the rest of the family eats or buys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SillySally83
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

No. No. No. We do not let our children dictate how we run our lives. If he wants to be meat free that's his choice, but he can't make that choice for the rest of his family. He will eat when he gets hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured