Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE!! 31wks pregnant and havent been to a Dr.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Due to medical insurance problems, i havent been to see a doctor yet for my pregnancy. im 31wks. I have my first apt tomorrow morning. i dont have any worries, never had complications with my first 2.

I didnt choose to see a doc until now because i was living in another state for a while which refused me medicaid once i became pregnant. i worked and earned less than $200/ bi-weekly. All of which went to bills, diapers and food. Now im back in my home-state which is finally allowing me medicaid. im excited to see the Dr tomorrow.

ive read online that many woman refuse prenatal care or just choose not to, and everyone looks at me like im crazy for not have seen a Dr yet.. i didnt want more debt.

UPDATE: Saw the doc, everything is great! got an ultrasound scheduled on Friday!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Replies (51-60):
2girlsMom.MN
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Even if their was problems, not much a obgyn can do anyways. They just monitor you. If your a healthy person who isn't on medication or have any health problem I wouldn't worry. 

For me I had issues and problems but they couldn't do anything for me but monitor and when things got bad deliver which is why I had two pregnancies end up premature but their wasn't like a magic wand they could point at me. 

All you've missed is bloodwork, ultrasound and monitoring. They can do all that now and catch you up. 

I wouldn't recommend for someone to skip prenatal care but I also don't think it's the end of the world. 

Twofeathers
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Its good that you are doing things the healthy way and that is a plus from those poverty conditions. However, as a nurse I feel I must say that a mother also has blood tests conducted that could and would tip off many conditions that weighing, vitamins and fresh water would not have any factor on. Again, just advice and trying to help. Glad you've found a OB/GYN and I wish you the best for a great outcome with this pregnancy!

Quoting Anonymous:

you also realize that basic prenatal care only consists of prenatal vitamines, being weighed, measured, and given tests that 90% of the time aren't needed. i take prenatals, drink clean water, eat the best i can, im not living in such poverty conditions as those you speak of nor those of the long past. i lived a few months in a state which didnt grant me healthcare and i didnt make much money. i take care of myself, so.. i pretty much seeyl your post as irrelevant to my situation. thanks for the bit of info though. its true you learn something new every day.

Quoting Twofeathers:

Yes and let me show you a little something..This is a reservation in S. Dakota that has a HUGE lack of prenatal care..

The empowerment zone is located in the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation along the southwestern border of South Dakota. The reservation is homeland of the Oglala Lakota Tribe, the largest of the seven bands that make up the Teton Lakota Nation. The zone includes the most densely populated areas of the Reservation, covering approximately 1,000 of the Reservation’s 7,000 square miles. It encompasses all of Shannon County, which is the poorest county in the nation, and parts of Jackson and Bennett Counties. The Lakota Fund, one of the key partners, was started to provide capital and technical assistance on the Pine Ridge Reservation. It is the major lending institution in an environment where most people do not have access to credit or savings institutions. The Reservation has a higher rate of diabetes, alcoholism, heart disease, road accidents, other accidents, and suicide than the American Indian population as a whole and all other races. The infant mortality rate is higher than the national average, and the tuberculosis rate is eight times higher. Alcoholism affects nearly every family on the reservation. The Lakota have the lowest life expectancy of any group in America.

Again the lack of services for expecting mothers is almost non exsistant. Yes, for centuries mothers did not have prenatal care. However, infant mortality was VERY high. This Reservation shows that when services are few and far between..what is in red is the outcome to expect

Here's a link to back what Ive said

http://voices.yahoo.com/south-dakotas-pine-ridge-indian-reservation-has-third-413692.html?cat=5

Quoting SLMitchell:

Women were having babies for centuries before modern medicine got involved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:47 AM
being educated and comprehending what im trying to say are completely different. the only person who is ONLY thinking about debt and bills, is you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats funny , ur nuts !!!!! I am educated , thats why I know how inmportant it is to see a doctor . Do ur baby a favor and give that lil angel who doesn't just think about debt or medical bills

Quoting Anonymous:

and you're stupid. you didnt read my whole post, or you did but nothing except "debt" settled in your brain.

i hadn't seen a doc mainly because i live in a state where i couldnt afford to live. moved back home and now i do. and tell me, how many 13yr olds have 2 kids and have a JOB. you just radiate idiocy from that comment.

maybe you need to go back to 5th grade english class and retake the test on reading comp.

Quoting Anonymous:

Frankly I think its just too many excuses . I was basically homeless and I handled going to the DOC . & if u only care about debt then maybe think of adoption . Cause the child will need to see the DOC after the is born . I think your either really young like 13 or just very ignorant

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Ok then if the bill was not the reason then what is personal believes such as religion .

Quoting Anonymous:

being educated and comprehending what im trying to say are completely different. the only person who is ONLY thinking about debt and bills, is you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats funny , ur nuts !!!!! I am educated , thats why I know how inmportant it is to see a doctor . Do ur baby a favor and give that lil angel who doesn't just think about debt or medical bills

Quoting Anonymous:

and you're stupid. you didnt read my whole post, or you did but nothing except "debt" settled in your brain.

i hadn't seen a doc mainly because i live in a state where i couldnt afford to live. moved back home and now i do. and tell me, how many 13yr olds have 2 kids and have a JOB. you just radiate idiocy from that comment.

maybe you need to go back to 5th grade english class and retake the test on reading comp.

Quoting Anonymous:

Frankly I think its just too many excuses . I was basically homeless and I handled going to the DOC . & if u only care about debt then maybe think of adoption . Cause the child will need to see the DOC after the is born . I think your either really young like 13 or just very ignorant

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:51 AM
I kinda feel like Liz Lemon right now, last ep

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok then if the bill was not the reason then what is personal believes such as religion .

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Quoting SLMitchell:

Women were having babies for centuries before modern medicine got involved.

sure, but it was expected that many would die in childbirth and many actually did. Mother and infant mortality were very high back then.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:56 AM
1 mom liked this

How can you afford to take care of the baby? Or, yourself? Was the baby an accident?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:56 AM
1 mom liked this
That seems responsible!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

And you're extremely defensive because you know what you did was wrong. Don't want debt? Don't have another child, then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)