Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Another Child Support Question Post

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:00 AM
  • 10 Replies

My step daughter turned 18 this past October. Shes a senior in high school lives in W Va and we live in Cali. Now according to dh divorce papers, which has cs and visitation all linked together, that once she turns 18 cs stops. Which it did. Cali child support agency was actually sending dh refund checks every week for a month(from Nov to Dec) because cs was still being taken from his paycheck. So we think ok cs is done np. Then my mom and i did a little digging. As it turned out dh was to keep paying cs until sd graduates high school. Again not a problem. Dh gets a letter from Ca saying hes in arrears of $325, a whole month behind. So he contacts his hr lady and she gets his garnishment reestablished. So everything is ok, We were thinking our state refund would be intercepted to pay off the arrears. But we never got a letter saying it will be, yet. Then today I checked our mailbox and guess what was in it. A refund check from the Ca child support agency. Wth?? Why would they be sending him another reund check knowing full well he has to keep paying until June 1? I dont understand. And of course I cant call and talk to cs agency on hubby behalf because he never signed the letter saying it was ok for them to talk to me. Idc really, it would have been alot easier if he did because the man works night shift and goes top bed befoere the office opens and wakes up after they close. Guess he will be staying up tomorrow to ind out whats going on.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM

bump for help

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Why doesn't he just send checks to the mother directly?

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM

My husband use to work nigh shift and hated that he had to stay awake to make calls.  It messed up his whole sleep schedule

tossed
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Keep copies of everything. CS should have continued until high school graduation. I am of the opinion that if the child is still in school and doing well, some sore of support should continue. The way the orders are written, it is like there is an assumption that the custodial parent just kicks them out the door the day they turn 18 or graduate. 

amanda_mom89
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Some states won't let you do that. In Texas, any money sent directly to the custodial parent is considered a gift.. And not a fulfillment of child support obligations.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:18 AM

His paychecks have always been garnished. The money that was taken each week was then put on a debit card. Which my sd has had or the last year or so. She didnt know there was a debit card or hell even medical insurance on her thru dh job. Her mom never told her any of this. I guess he could send the refund checks to his dd.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

amanda_mom89
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Cs stuff can get screwy sometimes. When I my DH first got child support set up they accidently opened two cases.

He would try to make a payment and they'dsay he didn't have a case settled yet.
. Then they'd send a letter saying he was behind. He'd call to pay and they'd say he didn't have a case. He had to give them the case number and they said "oh you do have a case but cs hasn't been established yet."

Took months to get it straightened out because the lawyer messed something up.

Good luck. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pink.
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Here, if CS is ordered through the state it MUST go through them. Anything sent to BM on his own does not count towards the ordered CS and considered a "gift". So if my xdh decided to send me a check, he'd go into arrears.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM

If she is living with her Mother and a full time student in high school, why wouldn't the money be going to the Mother for her support? 

Quoting Jamie1972:

His paychecks have always been garnished. The money that was taken each week was then put on a debit card. Which my sd has had or the last year or so. She didnt know there was a debit card or hell even medical insurance on her thru dh job. Her mom never told her any of this. I guess he could send the refund checks to his dd.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM

She dont live with her mom. Her mom lives in another state. Sd has been living with her grandma because when her mom decided to move my sd didnt want to leave her school and all her friends. The money has always beenplaced on the debit card. If BM gave grandma money for expenses so sd could live there idk.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

If she is living with her Mother and a full time student in high school, why wouldn't the money be going to the Mother for her support? 

Quoting Jamie1972:

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN