Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Update:Should I make him go to school?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:12 AM
  • 66 Replies
SO deployed late last week. 5 year old DS has had a difficult time sleeping since he left, getting 3 to 4 hours a night. He had a three day weekend, I was going he'd get it together by now. I tried getting him to sleep. Lights off, no games, no tv, ect. Still he does not sleep. He doesn't do well on Melatonin, so that's not an option. He hates warm milk, or warm tea.

Anyway, its 3am and he is literally bouncing off the walls. When I tell him to calm it down he has an insane melt down and just screams bloody murder for five minutes, then goes back to being crazy hyper.

We have to leave the house by 6am for me to make it to work. Should I make him go to school with no sleep?

Hes done this once before, btw, and after 3 nights of hardly any sleep I took him to the dr, which was a total waste, cause they said we'd just have to wait it out. :/

Update: He fell asleep at 6am and woke himself up at 0815. He goes to PM Kinder, but I told him hes still going to daycare, so thats what hes doing now. He was chatty, hyper as all get out. I don't understand how he isn't so cranky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this

try this, and yes he should go to school...

RandiBear
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I would but you also have to be prepared for the school to call you and make you come pick him up if he starts falling asleep in class. My mom did that to me, then since I was so tired at the end of the day she made an early, light dinner and I went to bed early.

muthrof_2
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:16 AM
I would, he'll be tired enough to sleep all night in a few days, don't let him mess up the schedule or it'll be worse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

He should still go.  Your son needs a routine.  

He'll probably still bounce off the walls tonight if you let him catch up on the sleep he lost last night.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MiddleAgeMess
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:17 AM
No. So left, that's a lot for a kid to deal with, especially at his age. Stay home & cuddle him & call the school about counseling or the Army/Nat'l Guard/Etc for a group therapy in dealing with the feelings of terror and fear they face.

(((hugs))) to the boy.
MumsTheWord571
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Deployment is a hard transition. I would see about a therapist who specializes in kids with deployed parents.

As for school tomorrow I don't know. If it were my DS refusing to sleep I make him go, then warn the teacher he may be cranky and to call me if she needs me to come get him. But I'm a SAHM so that's an easy option. I want DS to know school is a number 1 priority. No matter what. However, the deployment is not something we have been through or done. That makes it a special case. I might be tempted to let him stay home, but I believe that getting into a routine is recommended.

Hugs hun. I hope you get rest, and thank you for your family's sacrifice.
RandiBear
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Where can I find this stuff? My friend's boy goes through cycles of sleeplessness and she doesnt like the other sleep aids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Yes, I would make him go.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:19 AM
I'm not worried about him falling asleep. I'm worried about him being a holy terror. Hes got ADHD and anxiety, and when he doesn't have good sleep, hes not exactly the model student.

Quoting RandiBear:

I would but you also have to be prepared for the school to call you and make you come pick him up if he starts falling asleep in class. My mom did that to me, then since I was so tired at the end of the day she made an early, light dinner and I went to bed early.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN