Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mommies to 3rd graders...Math Question

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM
  • 36 Replies

We bought our daughter a Nabi2 over the weekend and she has been playing the learning games, i have come to the realization that she knows very few math skills that i thought she would have been taught by now. Or at least touched on.

Have your 3rd graders been taught...multiplication? roman numerals? division?

Yes, i will be making a point to work on these with her, but i am kind of shocked they haven't started these topics yet.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Basic multiplication and division, yes, my daughter learned those in the last part of second grade, and all of third grade.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
weaveress
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM

not sure about the roman numerals. but basic multiplication, division, and square root. i know they had started in 2nd grade and reviewed the first half of this year. 

tarakay0417
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Basic multiplication, division, fractions and Roman numerals.
You could talk to her teacher and see what they are doing and wherr she is at in class.
3pippings
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:49 AM

My son is in 4th grade and hasn't started on division yet. But I know that the curriculum where I live is really far behind.

DeathGoddess
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM

See every grading period we get charts sent home that charts where they are in comparison to the rest of the class and their beginning of the year benchmarks...she's at the top of the charts. She does her homework at an afterschool prgoram, so i never realized they weren't learning these concepts yet.

Quoting tarakay0417:

You could talk to her teacher and see what they are doing and wherr she is at in class.

Pnukey
by Jenn on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Third graders need to know basic multiplication and division facts through 10. They also learn Roman numerals, but really, who ever needs them except for looking at old clocks? Also, for what you didn't ask about, they need to add and subtract with regrouping (borrowing) up to 4 digit numbers.

--I taught third grade for 4 years.

tarakay0417
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I am surprised they aren't doing more with math too. You could get some work books and work with her at home.

Quoting DeathGoddess:

See every grading period we get charts sent home that charts where they are in comparison to the rest of the class and their beginning of the year benchmarks...she's at the top of the charts. She does her homework at an afterschool prgoram, so i never realized they weren't learning these concepts yet.

Quoting tarakay0417:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM

My 3rd grader is doing multiplication and division of 3 digit numbers so far.  He knows basic Roman Numerals.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:56 AM
My son is now 4th grade but when he was in third grade, he done everything mentioned plus more. He's well advanced that he was doing 6th grade work too! He's now doing 7-8 grade work along with his 4th grade work.
banana-bear
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:57 AM
I don't have a 3rd grader yet, but when I was in 3rd grade we knew multiplication tables up to 12 and started division. We thoroughly worked on division in 4th grade, though. I can't remember for Roman numerals. I wanna say that was in 2nd grade.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)