Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Changed her relationship status to single"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've had a few married women on my FB changed their relationship status to "single" a couple times...only to change it back to "married to _____" in a couple of days. Obviously they didn't become truly single in those days...nobody filed for divorce...they just got into a fight with their husbands so they pull immature shit like this! It's pretty annoying...it's childish, self-centered, and emotionally manipulative...not just to the husbands, but to everyone who truly cares/d for their happiness. 

It's one thing to change your status to "It's complicated" because sure, marriage CAN and DOES get complicated from time to time. But it takes A LOT to go from "married" to "single", like actually being separated...and even then, you're not truly single until the divorce is final. 

Before any of you reply with "It's just FB" or other similar response, obviously, this isn't just about Facebook statuses...what's annoying is the mindset...the motive behind the status change in the first place. If you can go from telling everyone you're married to telling them you're single (even when you're not) with the tap of a button, your marriage must not mean much to you. And if it doesn't, why not just go, if you really need to be out of it? 

End rant!

**Disclaimer: I am specifically talking about MARRIED women who change their status to SINGLE but still live in the home with their husbands and don't separate or file for divorce...and then change it back when they've made up. If you don't do this, then this obviously doesn't apply to you!**  

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Replies (201-207):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:05 AM
Cause they forget they are married and not boy friend girl friend and like the breakup drama. Marriage is "forever" but now it seems people just say oh well if it doesn't work out ill just get a divorce.
armywife009
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:21 AM

I've seen that before. Very tacky and childish. Even putting "it's complicated" is tacky. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:08 AM

My ex's wife did that when she found out I (his mistress) was pregnant.  I think she was being reasonable there.  They were still married, but she was humiliated and trying to save face.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Oh no, I understand glitches happen...I'm talking about when their status changes and people start asking questions, they usually say "he's being an ass!" or their previous status update is something cryptic like "I can't do this anymore..." They always give some indication that they changed their status deliberately.

Quoting RandiBear:

Just an FYI, sometimes FB glitches and when they update servers many of the accounts on a server will have their relationship status randomly changed. It's not always the case, but it is sometimes. It happened to me a few weeks ago. Apparently FB decided I was widowed one night. My DH was at a friend's house when he signed on to show the guys something and saw the relationship status change. He called and was like "Uh, did I forget to take out the trash or something?" I was all confused and he said "Well apparently I am about to die because you are listed as widowed on FB..." Got a good laugh out of it, but still. I would hate for people to think I was playing some kind of emotional game with my hubby because FB went stupid. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I've had a few married women on my FB changed their relationship status to "single" a couple times...only to change it back to "married to _____" in a couple of days. Obviously they didn't become truly single in those days...nobody filed for divorce...they just got into a fight with their husbands so they pull immature shit like this! It's pretty annoying...it's childish, self-centered, and emotionally manipulative...not just to the husbands, but to everyone who truly cares/d for their happiness. 

It's one thing to change your status to "It's complicated" because sure, marriage CAN and DOES get complicated from time to time. But it takes A LOT to go from "married" to "single", like actually being separated...and even then, you're not truly single until the divorce is final. 

Before any of you reply with "It's just FB" or other similar response, obviously, this isn't just about Facebook statuses...what's annoying is the mindset...the motive behind the status change in the first place. If you can go from telling everyone you're married to telling them you're single (even when you're not) with the tap of a button, your marriage must not mean much to you. And if it doesn't, why not just go, if you really need to be out of it? 

End rant!

**Disclaimer: I am specifically talking about MARRIED women who change their status to SINGLE but still live in the home with their husbands and don't separate or file for divorce...and then change it back when they've made up. If you don't do this, then this obviously doesn't apply to you!**  

ratchetlee
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I think it's stupid and immature.  My step sister would do that after a fight with her hubby.  Hubby and I fight, but the last thing I would think of during an arguement is; "I am going to change my relationship status"..... LOL

I understand teens doing it, but grown women???  UGH!

colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:44 AM

its just facebook. it doesnt matter. i have had relationships that lasted years and it never even said in a relationship for either one of us. 

oh what did people do before facebook

RandiBear
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Yea, I can't stand that either...or they change their status to "married" when they're dating somebody for more than a couple months. It's like "Honey, 3 months does NOT equal married...seriously..." Or when they do it to "teach their hubby a lesson" ....and he doesn't even have a fb account...lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh no, I understand glitches happen...I'm talking about when their status changes and people start asking questions, they usually say "he's being an ass!" or their previous status update is something cryptic like "I can't do this anymore..." They always give some indication that they changed their status deliberately.

Quoting RandiBear:

Just an FYI, sometimes FB glitches and when they update servers many of the accounts on a server will have their relationship status randomly changed. It's not always the case, but it is sometimes. It happened to me a few weeks ago. Apparently FB decided I was widowed one night. My DH was at a friend's house when he signed on to show the guys something and saw the relationship status change. He called and was like "Uh, did I forget to take out the trash or something?" I was all confused and he said "Well apparently I am about to die because you are listed as widowed on FB..." Got a good laugh out of it, but still. I would hate for people to think I was playing some kind of emotional game with my hubby because FB went stupid. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

End rant!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured