Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Changed her relationship status to single"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've had a few married women on my FB changed their relationship status to "single" a couple times...only to change it back to "married to _____" in a couple of days. Obviously they didn't become truly single in those days...nobody filed for divorce...they just got into a fight with their husbands so they pull immature shit like this! It's pretty annoying...it's childish, self-centered, and emotionally manipulative...not just to the husbands, but to everyone who truly cares/d for their happiness. 

It's one thing to change your status to "It's complicated" because sure, marriage CAN and DOES get complicated from time to time. But it takes A LOT to go from "married" to "single", like actually being separated...and even then, you're not truly single until the divorce is final. 

Before any of you reply with "It's just FB" or other similar response, obviously, this isn't just about Facebook statuses...what's annoying is the mindset...the motive behind the status change in the first place. If you can go from telling everyone you're married to telling them you're single (even when you're not) with the tap of a button, your marriage must not mean much to you. And if it doesn't, why not just go, if you really need to be out of it? 

End rant!

**Disclaimer: I am specifically talking about MARRIED women who change their status to SINGLE but still live in the home with their husbands and don't separate or file for divorce...and then change it back when they've made up. If you don't do this, then this obviously doesn't apply to you!**  

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Replies (21-30):
kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM
I have a friend who does the same! I even hesitate answering the phone when she calls lately. It's always drama...

Quoting Caitlin1983:

That is extremely immature. I have a friend who litteraly calls me once a week to tell me that she and her husband are done. They had a huge fight and she is filing for divorce. They have only been married a year and throw the word divorce around all the time. Ridiculous!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I agree. Although I did think about doing it once just to see what kind of response he would give, but he is never on Facebook. Anybody that knows us would probably think that it was mistake. 

Schleetle
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Why does it matter? It's just Facebook. The whole thing sounds stupid.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Yet one more reason I don't have a Facebook account anymore.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:22 AM
My cousin does this all the time. What makes it even more ridiculous is she will post statuses like " I am the luckiest woman in the world! My fantastic Hubby is the best!!" And then the next she's "single"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Pay attention, I addressed this in my OP. I knew someone would say this.

Quoting Schleetle:

Why does it matter? It's just Facebook. The whole thing sounds stupid.

NikiOcasio
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's stupid to even change it to complicated.. Some people need to learn to keep their marital issues betweeen them and their husbands.. Not between them and the whole world of facebook. 

Just goes to show you their maturity level.

JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM
I know a couple people who do that....it drives me insane. I've changed my relationship status twice. To "it's complicated" after telling my ex I wanted a divorce, but there was still a *chance* things would work. Once it became obvious that our marriage was irretrievably gone......I just took the relationship status off completely.
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM
I see the same thing and its not always young women doing it. I have saw women in their late 50s do it. A lot of people don't take marriage as serious as it should be, and it's sad. I also hate the people that have married to this one, when they aren't even married.
brebugmom91
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM
I agree, its sad. I have some girls on my FB who do that, and/or they'll put up a status like "OMG I am so done! I don't deserve to be treated like this!!" and then the next day they're on their FB like "My hubby is amazing!"

I've noticed its the younger girls who do it too, like under 25. I'm 21 and I have never even thought about leaving, let alone put it all over FB. If dh and I are having issues I don't tell anyone. Its between dh and I.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)