Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Changed her relationship status to single"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've had a few married women on my FB changed their relationship status to "single" a couple times...only to change it back to "married to _____" in a couple of days. Obviously they didn't become truly single in those days...nobody filed for divorce...they just got into a fight with their husbands so they pull immature shit like this! It's pretty annoying...it's childish, self-centered, and emotionally manipulative...not just to the husbands, but to everyone who truly cares/d for their happiness. 

It's one thing to change your status to "It's complicated" because sure, marriage CAN and DOES get complicated from time to time. But it takes A LOT to go from "married" to "single", like actually being separated...and even then, you're not truly single until the divorce is final. 

Before any of you reply with "It's just FB" or other similar response, obviously, this isn't just about Facebook statuses...what's annoying is the mindset...the motive behind the status change in the first place. If you can go from telling everyone you're married to telling them you're single (even when you're not) with the tap of a button, your marriage must not mean much to you. And if it doesn't, why not just go, if you really need to be out of it? 

End rant!

**Disclaimer: I am specifically talking about MARRIED women who change their status to SINGLE but still live in the home with their husbands and don't separate or file for divorce...and then change it back when they've made up. If you don't do this, then this obviously doesn't apply to you!**  

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Replies (41-50):
Pnukey
by Jenn on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

It's petty, annoying, and stupid. I don't have FB friends like that, but some people I added just for games do that. They get hidden. I don't need drama.

kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM
It drives me crazy! They have an knots one yr old and another due in April. They've been together almost 5 yrs and she even kicks him out almost bi weekly! It drives me insane. I'm used to a household that doesn't fight or yell,we talk thins out. I can't handle the drama!

Quoting Caitlin1983:

Me too. I always tell her "come on, you know you guys aren't 't getting divorced, I don't know why you always say that". And she says "no, seriously this time. It's over. "

Not to mention they've been together 6 years, married 1 and have 2 kids together.

Quoting kbutton24:

I have a friend who does the same! I even hesitate answering the phone when she calls lately. It's always drama...

Quoting Caitlin1983:

That is extremely immature. I have a friend who litteraly calls me once a week to tell me that she and her husband are done. They had a huge fight and she is filing for divorce. They have only been married a year and throw the word divorce around all the time. Ridiculous!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM
I read it, and it's still just FB, and just stupid. I don't think of a status change as having any kind of important meaning, or sentiment like you said.

Quoting Anonymous:

Pay attention, I addressed this in my OP. I knew someone would say this.

Quoting Schleetle:

Why does it matter? It's just Facebook. The whole thing sounds stupid.

14LVL
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Facebook DOES suck .... I deleted my account last week and I have never been more at peace.  Honestly, do we really need to deal with everyone else's crap?  I mean, life is complicated enough without dealing with other people's immature minute to minute status updates .... argh!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM

It usually is to me, too...but I've had too many people I actually care about pull this a few times and it started to get frustrating!

Quoting Kitschy:

The whole idea that changing your fb status at all to reflect a mood is hilarious to me.

Caitlin1983
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM
People are crazy!! Lol don't get me wrong though, we have out fair share of fights but we don't throw out idle threats and I certainly don't call my friends and talk a bunch of shit about him.

But I am jealous of you now. Great. Lol

Quoting kbutton24:

It drives me crazy! They have an knots one yr old and another due in April. They've been together almost 5 yrs and she even kicks him out almost bi weekly! It drives me insane. I'm used to a household that doesn't fight or yell,we talk thins out. I can't handle the drama!

Quoting Caitlin1983:

Me too. I always tell her "come on, you know you guys aren't 't getting divorced, I don't know why you always say that". And she says "no, seriously this time. It's over. "

Not to mention they've been together 6 years, married 1 and have 2 kids together.

Quoting kbutton24:

I have a friend who does the same! I even hesitate answering the phone when she calls lately. It's always drama...

Quoting Caitlin1983:

That is extremely immature. I have a friend who litteraly calls me once a week to tell me that she and her husband are done. They had a huge fight and she is filing for divorce. They have only been married a year and throw the word divorce around all the time. Ridiculous!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM

This!

I think you are placing too much meaning and emphasis on it and as annoying and maybe childish as it is, their changing their status is probably them lashing out at their significant others and expressing their feelings.  It's stupid to even contemplate it and let it affect you so much that you felt the need to vent about it on CM. 

Quoting Schleetle:

I read it, and it's still just FB, and just stupid. I don't think of a status change as having any kind of important meaning, or sentiment like you said.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schleetle:

kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Haha we both have a background in human service. Makes "talking it out" a lot easier. We have had a couple fights here and there but nothing major.

Quoting Caitlin1983:

People are crazy!! Lol don't get me wrong though, we have out fair share of fights but we don't throw out idle threats and I certainly don't call my friends and talk a bunch of shit about him.

But I am jealous of you now. Great. Lol

Quoting kbutton24:

Quoting Caitlin1983:

Quoting kbutton24:

Quoting Caitlin1983:

CutieCrab
by Jen on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Who cares.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Are you saying if someone you love and care for went from "married" to "single", that's not a cause of concern for you? What if hypothetically, your dh did that (assuming he has a FB, of course)...would it not bother you? 

Quoting Schleetle:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schleetle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)