Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't know if he actually remembered or he knew because FB told him.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

Today is my birthday and I wake up to a FB msg from my father wishing me a Happy Birthday.  He friend requested me just before Christmas, we haven't talked on FB except when he firs joined. 

We have been estranged since I was about 13.  We've had the odd run ins over the years but no relationship, nothing.  He is a violent man and the last time I saw him the police had to take me out of his house because he was beating his girlfriend and when I tried to leave he blocked me and basically held me hostage until the police showed up when my mother called them and told them of the situation.

Even with how much I've hated him over the years I have always wondered if he thought about me on my birthday....or any day for that matter.  He's never once called me on my birthday, even when I went with him on the weekends..if my birthday fell on a day during the week....he never called me.

So it kind of bothers me that he wished me a happy birthday today and makes me think, it was FB's doing.

Ah well....just a random thought.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM

bump

Momof2angels88
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Happy Birthday! Maybe he realizes how bad of a father he was and is trying to make amends. Sometimes it takes men longer to grow up than women. He probably realized that he is going to grow old and die alone and he wants to change that so he's reaching out. People do change sometimes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you :)

Quoting Momof2angels88:

Happy Birthday! Maybe he realizes how bad of a father he was and is trying to make amends. Sometimes it takes men longer to grow up than women. He probably realized that he is going to grow old and die alone and he wants to change that so he's reaching out. People do change sometimes.

AA2.0
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM
4 moms liked this

The cynic in me says he only said it because FB told him it was your birthday. Especially considering his history of ignoring your birthday. But maybe he's reaching out. Only time will tell. :)

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Happy birthday! And BUMP

barrelracer1699
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Happy Birthday a day late! I'm not sure what to tell you.

livn4hevn
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:52 AM

sounds like it was to me...but I mean... maybe he's extending an olive branch....might as well thank him.

bi-polarmommy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM
2 moms liked this

even if it WAS only cause fb told him, he at least made SOME effort

ForeverInLove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:59 AM

You know, it probably was FB's reminding him, but he could have also chose to not say anything anyways. 

Regardless, take it with a grain of salt. It sounds like you don't really want a big relationship with him (I don't blame you), and just reply, "Thank you," and be done. Don't fret over it.

Jennyp05
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:08 AM
My father has never once remembered my birthday. If I want a happy birthday from him I have to call. But I get chewed out if I don't call him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN