Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Assisted suicide

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Should it be legal? It is in 3 states.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
Zacksmama82411
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly. If it were more of a "dignified" way, I would have said it's your life. I don't believe in it, but why should my beliefs affect your life, if it is not affecting my life?

Quoting Anonymous:

That is precisely why. People will and why not have a doctor help the right way?

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

I voted no, but only because in my state, they don't actually assist, they would have just prescribed pills, and said "good luck" So if something went wrong, and the individual ends up in severe pain, doesn't die, and ends up with issues, I don't think that's right... (granted there are always side effects to medication, I just don't believe in the way they would have done it here)

IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Yep!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Bump for computer did a paper on this
JennyCaps
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
YES. Watching someone terminally ill die a slow painful death was unbearable.
1RedHottMama
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Yes. Allow people to die with dignity and respect on there own terms,not pain,pity and confusion. Being a shell of one's former self is far from dignified and everyone deserves better than that.

lkane81
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Yes yes and yes. Watchimg my father go through the pain he did in his last weeks u only wished we could gave done something more. But alk we could do was keep giving him more morphine
We dont let our pets suffet or even th animals we hunt why should a person be any different.
JacksMom1221
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I believe it should be.  It is legal in many other countries without any problems.  Why would anyone think someone MUST be forced to live when they don't want to?

snowpeasmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
yes, i think a doctor should od a person on mophrine, if they arent allergic, then something else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Yes I think it should be. There are exacting rules for it. I watched my mother die from colon cancer, she fought using what the doctors had available until there was nothing left to try and the cancer had advanced to far. She went into the hospice program and the nurse came to the house to make sure that Mom had her pain meds, and when it came time that she got the equipment she needed, hospital bed, bathroom equipment, oxygen tank. Mom talked to me once about the fact that she didn't really want to just waste away but had no choice in the matter. She didn't like it because the kids & grandkids watched her go from looking like she always did maybe a little less energy to a person who couldn't keep a thought in her head for more than 2 minutes, and a body that was nothing more than bones covered with skin. Even with all the pain medication that she was given she was still in a lot of pain. Death with dignity should be the right of anyone who has a terminal illness. I would not want to go out the way that my Mother was forced to. 

You hear those that say you should never give up that as long as you are breathing there is hope. I have always wondered if they have actually watched a love one wasting away in pain both physical & emotional pain.

Wanting to leave the pain and anguish behind to go to a better place isn't a crime. For those that are religous and say that if you commit suicide you won't go to heaven I think are full of crap. It is said that God is mercifull so if he is a mercifull God then he would be waiting for those souls with open arms to give them the peace that they didn't have in the mortal world. So anyone that says a person that dies from assisted suicide will go to hell is not a very loving person and doesn't have much faith in their God.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)