Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wedding reception in a restaurant?

Posted by   + Show Post
As I stated in another post my fiancé and I are going to elope and have a reception here and we are trying to figure out how and where to do the reception.

There will probably be 150 people invited. I certainly want to cut that number in at least half but I have a big family (100 of the guests are my family) and if one person is left out they will be highly offended and will never let me forget it.

So I was thinking something very informal at say a Mexican restaurant because the majority of the people love Mexican food and I was thinking a fajita buffet.

It would also cut down on the headache and such because I wouldn't have to worry about decorating and no one has to dress up.

Would you go to a wedding reception at a restaurant? There will be no booze because of several recovering alcoholics but there will be unlimited sodas tea and water along with chicken and beef fajitas with all the fixings including beans and rice and a cake.

Small update, found a place! It's a BBQ place with a banquet room that can hold up to 300 people and we can either do fajitas or BBQ. Same price about 16 bucks a person including drinks so I'm thinking that's the way we will go.

Joes in Alvin is the name if anyone knows of it and can give me honest reviews of the place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Replies (71-79):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Quoting Roxygurl:

For a wedding. That means everything from the decorations at the church to renting a place.

We aren't having all of that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Also when it said and done it will be around 3000 bucks so I don't consider that a cheap reception.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Lol life doesn't revolve around alcohol and I've been to plenty of weddings or other parties that don't offer alcohol.

I don't drink, my fiancé doesn't drink and 95% of the people that would be invited dont drink so the 5% that do drink can either wait for 2 whole hours and drink after the reception or they can decide not to come, their choice but there will be no alcohol at our wedding reception.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

My uncle is just an alcoholic and he's a mean alcoholic and I don't want the problems that go along with it plus alcohol can and does get pretty damn expensive. We are looking at 3-5000 for food and such and I'm not a drinker at all so I don't feel the need for alcohol.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would never restrict 150 people from drinking because several are alcoholics.  

My friend in AA says she is taught that she can't expect other people to stop their lives for her problem and she needs to be able to handle herself around liquor.  She actually appreciates weddings with alcohol because it gives her a chance to socialize in a normal setting and practice abstaining with loved ones nearby.  She doesn't trust herself to go to a bar yet.

If your uncle is unlikely to behave himself, he doesn't get invited.

It's poor hosting not to offer some type of alcohol at a wedding, even if it's just punch or beer.  

Where did I say life revolve around alcohol?

If many of you don't drink, booze won't jack up the total cost.  You could probably get by with two bowls of punch.

You want to be a good hostess, don't you?  If I was invited to a cheap reception that didn't even have a champagne toast/punch/beer, I wouldn't go- not because I'm a lush, but because it sounds like a cash grab.

That's a ridiculously cheap reception.

The average reception cost is $67 per guest, according to the WSJ.  That'd be $10, 050 for a wedding your size, and that's just the average.

No. For the average reception, not including the wedding.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Quoting Roxygurl:

I think that's probably the difference between her and and you and I. We both live I Houston. The south. While its common to drink its also just as common NOT to drink.

You and I have both been to several things that don't serve alcohol and it wasnt missed, not everyone needs alcohol to have a good time.

Quoting Ultra_:

Where do you live? It's not considered to be poor hosting at all here. I'm in Houston. I'm glad it's that way.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Ultra_:

Lol at this. YOU'RE deciding who she invites? The alcohol thing. Yeah, we never have any. I go to TONS of events with no alcohol. Why would there need to be alcohol. There is a whole lifestyle of people who don't even remember alcohol exists.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Roxygurl:

My uncle is just an alcoholic and he's a mean alcoholic and I don't want the problems that go along with it plus alcohol can and does get pretty damn expensive. We are looking at 3-5000 for food and such and I'm not a drinker at all so I don't feel the need for alcohol.

Quoting Anonymous:

My friend in AA says she is taught that she can't expect other people to stop their lives for her problem and she needs to be able to handle herself around liquor.  She actually appreciates weddings with alcohol because it gives her a chance to socialize in a normal setting and practice abstaining with loved ones nearby.  She doesn't trust herself to go to a bar yet.

It's poor hosting not to offer some type of alcohol at a wedding, even if it's just punch or beer.  

I'm not literally telling her who to invite.  That would be ridiculous.  I'm just pointing out that someone with chronically bad behavior shouldn't take precedence over other guests' wishes.

Do you go to "TONS" of weddings without alcohol?  They're unheard of here, and the mark of a crappy host.  It's a societal norm.  It's not like those who choose not to drink are being forced to, it's about giving your guests the option.

Yet another reason for me to loathe Texas.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Those figures still wouldn't work where I live. The cost of living is a lot cheaper here in Texas than elsewhere.

But that's not really the point, the point is there will be no alcohol at our reception. We don't feel it's needed and its our decision to make.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

For a wedding. That means everything from the decorations at the church to renting a place.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Also when it said and done it will be around 3000 bucks so I don't consider that a cheap reception.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Lol life doesn't revolve around alcohol and I've been to plenty of weddings or other parties that don't offer alcohol.

I don't drink, my fiancé doesn't drink and 95% of the people that would be invited dont drink so the 5% that do drink can either wait for 2 whole hours and drink after the reception or they can decide not to come, their choice but there will be no alcohol at our wedding reception.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

If many of you don't drink, booze won't jack up the total cost.  You could probably get by with two bowls of punch.

You want to be a good hostess, don't you?  If I was invited to a cheap reception that didn't even have a champagne toast/punch/beer, I wouldn't go- not because I'm a lush, but because it sounds like a cash grab.

The average reception cost is $67 per guest, according to the WSJ.  That'd be $10, 050 for a wedding your size, and that's just the average.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Quoting Roxygurl:

Those figures still wouldn't work where I live. The cost of living is a lot cheaper here in Texas than elsewhere.

But that's not really the point, the point is there will be no alcohol at our reception. We don't feel it's needed and its our decision to make.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Reception: $10,928 to $17,932

Average cost of Texas reception.  I realize Dallas/Austin would be on the higher side and Houston n the lower.

Also, of course the booze thing is your decision.  It just seems like it'd be easy for you to be a good host AND not break the budget, as you don't have a lot of drinkers.  I don't understand why that wouldn't be ideal.

momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Pretty cool idea. I like it. Maybe find a place that has some kind of dance floor or area that you can reserve just for your guests. That way you can do the speech etc...

Congrats!

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Honestly I wouldn't care if the average was 20 grand. My wedding reception will not be anywhere close to that, it's a waste of money and I consider it tacky and akin to gloating to spend so much on a 2 hour reception in a BBQ hall.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Average cost of Texas reception.  I realize Dallas/Austin would be on the higher side and Houston n the lower.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Quoting Roxygurl:

Honestly I wouldn't care if the average was 20 grand. My wedding reception will not be anywhere close to that, it's a waste of money and I consider it tacky and akin to gloating to spend so much on a 2 hour reception in a BBQ hall.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't believe I implied you had to spend that much money.  You said $3,000 isn't cheap, but, in reality it is.  Very.

AmandaMichele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM

MY SIL and MIL are from Alvin. let me see what they think about it.

Quoting Roxygurl:

As I stated in another post my fiancé and I are going to elope and have a reception here and we are trying to figure out how and where to do the reception.

There will probably be 150 people invited. I certainly want to cut that number in at least half but I have a big family (100 of the guests are my family) and if one person is left out they will be highly offended and will never let me forget it.

So I was thinking something very informal at say a Mexican restaurant because the majority of the people love Mexican food and I was thinking a fajita buffet.

It would also cut down on the headache and such because I wouldn't have to worry about decorating and no one has to dress up.

Would you go to a wedding reception at a restaurant? There will be no booze because of several recovering alcoholics but there will be unlimited sodas tea and water along with chicken and beef fajitas with all the fixings including beans and rice and a cake.

Small update, found a place! It's a BBQ place with a banquet room that can hold up to 300 people and we can either do fajitas or BBQ. Same price about 16 bucks a person including drinks so I'm thinking that's the way we will go.

Joes in Alvin is the name if anyone knows of it and can give me honest reviews of the place.

AmandaMichele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM

ROXY-So i asked my sil if she knew about joes. She said yes what about it. I said is the food any good and her reply was "HEll fucking yeah! it has amazingly awesome food."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured