Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"What a proud day for African American Women"*Small Edit*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 178 Replies
11 moms liked this
The title is something Beyonce shared after the super bowl, along with saying thank you to Kelly, Michelle, Alicia & JHud.

My only problem with her statement is when I looked at the line up of performers I didn't sit and think "Wow, they're all black!" I at and thought "Wow all young women with talent that started making music in my early teen years! Cool!"

My beef is why did Beyonce turn in into a race thing? Why did she have to treat it like she overcame some huge obstacle, it's not like she fought to preform, she was invited and compensated very generously.

I am just mad because they say racism is very much alive and well in this country today, and I don't disagree, but I think the race we all think of when talking about someone being racist (white is what comes to my mind), isn't the race being racist and keeping it alive.

Just my opinion. Just curious what other people think about Beyonce making it a race thing.

**Edit**Just wanted to add, this is not a debate over the general characteristics of a certain race, it's is also not about Beyonce's Super Bowl performance, or her clothing (or lack of). I just wanted to see how people felt about her basically labeling this as a racial achievement, which I didn't really look at it as such until I read that quote, I just got irritated she brought race into something so racially neutral.**
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Bump!
Kitschy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM
21 moms liked this
Because 40 years ago it wouldn't have happened. It's okay to give a shout out to the woman and African American activists that make her lifestyle even a possibility.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m0mmyheather
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree it shouldn't have been a race thing. It made no difference to me what skin color the people performing had.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
5 moms liked this

She should know that black women have been doing things for YEARS. It's not as if Beyonce paved the way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM
13 moms liked this

It's fine, every time I do something impressive I announce that it's a proud day for native american Irish people lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM
My issue is it's a proud day for ANYONE to sing at the Super Bowl halftime show, it's not about race, it's about a personal accomplishment.
When I looked at the line up I didn't sit there and go yay touchdown black people, or when it was Madonna and JT I didn't say touchdown white people, it was just wow what a great opportunity.
If Madonna or JT had tweeted about it being a proud day for white people they would've gotten black listed as racist white supremacists.

Quoting Kitschy:

Because 40 years ago it wouldn't have happened. It's okay to give a shout out to the woman and African American activists that make her lifestyle even a possibility.
tharealty2
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

omg.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM
6 moms liked this
Its your opinion. But mine is that the OP is so right. They wont let go of the crap their ancestors had to deal with. Black people keep racism alive by making statements like that

Quoting Kitschy:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

oh who cares! leave her alone already!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM
4 moms liked this
Well... It kinda is because the Irish and Native Americans went through way more hardships, slavery and suffering for twice as long as African Americans did. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

It's fine, every time I do something impressive I announce that it's a proud day for native american Irish people lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)