Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"What a proud day for African American Women"*Small Edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The title is something Beyonce shared after the super bowl, along with saying thank you to Kelly, Michelle, Alicia & JHud.

My only problem with her statement is when I looked at the line up of performers I didn't sit and think "Wow, they're all black!" I at and thought "Wow all young women with talent that started making music in my early teen years! Cool!"

My beef is why did Beyonce turn in into a race thing? Why did she have to treat it like she overcame some huge obstacle, it's not like she fought to preform, she was invited and compensated very generously.

I am just mad because they say racism is very much alive and well in this country today, and I don't disagree, but I think the race we all think of when talking about someone being racist (white is what comes to my mind), isn't the race being racist and keeping it alive.

Just my opinion. Just curious what other people think about Beyonce making it a race thing.

**Edit**Just wanted to add, this is not a debate over the general characteristics of a certain race, it's is also not about Beyonce's Super Bowl performance, or her clothing (or lack of). I just wanted to see how people felt about her basically labeling this as a racial achievement, which I didn't really look at it as such until I read that quote, I just got irritated she brought race into something so racially neutral.**
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
brittney28
by Brittney on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Ugh,I can't stand Beyonce!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I'm not attacking her performance, I like her music, I grew through my teen years jamming Destiny's Child, I just think the race part was unnecessary.

Quoting Anonymous:

oh who cares! leave her alone already!

MrsImperfect
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Its not like she was the first AA to be at the halftime show
tharealty2
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM
14 moms liked this

I would just like to point out - its white people, all over the globe, who have made race an issue,. not just in our not so distant past but to date - white people have made being non white, especially black - a reason for division and superiority.  So YOU have been able to live life where race isnt' an issue for YOU - good on ya, when you walk in the shoes of a minority then you ask 'why did so and so make it an issue of race?'  I'd like to expound further but I'm in betweeen classes.  Live your life as a minority where its made clear to you - it DOES matter, than say it don't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM
yes it would have, 40 years ago black entertainers were allowed and seen often. they didnt get paid as much and may not even be allowed to use or be at the place they were entertaining, except to entertain.

Quoting Kitschy:

Because 40 years ago it wouldn't have happened. It's okay to give a shout out to the woman and African American activists that make her lifestyle even a possibility.
slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this
Because maybe it WAS a proud day for Black women?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM

She was more into dancing and trying to "prove" something, being sexy or being a black sexy woman, hell I don't know. But she sure didn't sing much at all and when she did, you could hardly hear her!

Grumpylilpixy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
That they do and as long as they keep that up the white race will continue it as well. It is just a vicious cycle.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its your opinion. But mine is that the OP is so right. They wont let go of the crap their ancestors had to deal with. Black people keep racism alive by making statements like that

Quoting Kitschy:

Because 40 years ago it wouldn't have happened. It's okay to give a shout out to the woman and African American activists that make her lifestyle even a possibility.

slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM
4 moms liked this
Quoting tharealty2:

I would just like to point out - its white people, all over the globe, who have made race an issue,. not just in our not so distant past but to date - white people have made being non white, especially black - a reason for division and superiority.  So YOU have been able to live life where race isnt' an issue for YOU - good on ya, when you walk in the shoes of a minority then you ask 'why did so and so make it an issue of race?'  I'd like to expound further but I'm in betweeen classes.  Live your life as a minority where its made clear to you - it DOES matter, than say it don't.

This, exactly. When you're part of a marginalized group, being discriminated against is a DAILY ordeal. When you're part of the majority, it's "not a big deal" and "augh, why is it always about race?"
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM
4 moms liked this
American society still has a long way to go to be color blind
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)