Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"What a proud day for African American Women"*Small Edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The title is something Beyonce shared after the super bowl, along with saying thank you to Kelly, Michelle, Alicia & JHud.

My only problem with her statement is when I looked at the line up of performers I didn't sit and think "Wow, they're all black!" I at and thought "Wow all young women with talent that started making music in my early teen years! Cool!"

My beef is why did Beyonce turn in into a race thing? Why did she have to treat it like she overcame some huge obstacle, it's not like she fought to preform, she was invited and compensated very generously.

I am just mad because they say racism is very much alive and well in this country today, and I don't disagree, but I think the race we all think of when talking about someone being racist (white is what comes to my mind), isn't the race being racist and keeping it alive.

Just my opinion. Just curious what other people think about Beyonce making it a race thing.

**Edit**Just wanted to add, this is not a debate over the general characteristics of a certain race, it's is also not about Beyonce's Super Bowl performance, or her clothing (or lack of). I just wanted to see how people felt about her basically labeling this as a racial achievement, which I didn't really look at it as such until I read that quote, I just got irritated she brought race into something so racially neutral.**
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Replies (141-150):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:23 AM
She's an Obama supporter....a black Obama supporter....says it all.

Quoting Anonymous:

I watched Oprah the other day and L L Cool J was on her show. He was abused when he was a child, and I was so sad for him! Then Oprah said she felt so bad for little boys that have to endure this kind of treatment..... Especially little black boys! WTF Oprah, is all I could think! I can't believe anyone thinks one child is worth more then another, but to make it about skin color is disgusting to me!

I didn't watch the superbowl and I have no idea what she wa referring to, but just wanted to throw my story in there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:28 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

WTF does that mean? In case you didn't realize, I dislike racist/hateful people of any color! I don't understand where you are going with your reply? So supporting Obama means what?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:31 AM
I'm not being racist.

High players in Hollywood like Oprah and I remember reading a stat that most AA's only vote for himm bc of his color....like they are trying to prove something or act like the struggle is over. I know what I'm trying to say but it's coming off badly but I'm not meaning it that way.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

WTF does that mean? In case you didn't realize, I dislike racist/hateful people of any color! I don't understand where you are going with your reply? So supporting Obama means what?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:46 AM

to your edit sex sells and with her dance moves if she where fully clothed it would probly be harder to move

wifey77
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:19 AM
Interestingly enough it just hit me that the whole line up were black chicks. I don't understand why she felt the need to make that comment
jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:44 AM
Sammy Davis Jr. was black and converted to judaism, as did Whoopi Goldberg.

Quoting kaiser10123:

Ok so there are black Jewish people which are they black or Jewish???

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kaiser10123:

You don't know every Black woman therefore you cannot say "black women are taught this" my mother NEVER taught me this. Two there is a Jewish Heritage Month (it's a religion and not a race) and there is American Indian month and so on and so forth.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I am not surprised she made it about race. Black women are taught to do this by their culture and society. We had a long discussion about this in a co-op. We are pushing to remove the color differences but one woman flat out admitted that the differences are put on more by her own race than any other race. She hates Black History Month because it separates out the whole race. That is not a good thing. We don't have a Jewish History Month or an Indian History Month. We shouldn't have one for any race. We should actually work for everyone to actually be equal.

Actually, you are wrong. It is also a race not just a religion.

http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigressLily
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Well, if you think about the history of things, it was indeed a proud day for African American WOMEN. "Black" people were slaves, women were treated like slaves, to be inferior. So the most successful we have in our country today is the black women. Not the black men, not the white women.

kaiser10123
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM
I learned it yesterday :) I actually know some black Jewish people

Quoting jadedcynic:

Sammy Davis Jr. was black and converted to judaism, as did Whoopi Goldberg.

Quoting kaiser10123:

Ok so there are black Jewish people which are they black or Jewish???

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kaiser10123:

You don't know every Black woman therefore you cannot say "black women are taught this" my mother NEVER taught me this. Two there is a Jewish Heritage Month (it's a religion and not a race) and there is American Indian month and so on and so forth.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I am not surprised she made it about race. Black women are taught to do this by their culture and society. We had a long discussion about this in a co-op. We are pushing to remove the color differences but one woman flat out admitted that the differences are put on more by her own race than any other race. She hates Black History Month because it separates out the whole race. That is not a good thing. We don't have a Jewish History Month or an Indian History Month. We shouldn't have one for any race. We should actually work for everyone to actually be equal.

Actually, you are wrong. It is also a race not just a religion.

http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Shaylyn318
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:53 AM

That is dumb. Like you said it's not like they overcame anything. Black people preform all the time. Also she isn't the first black woman to preform at the Superbowl.

hollieh79
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM
There really are not different races. We are all the same, just have different shades due to melatonin.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN