Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"What a proud day for African American Women"*Small Edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The title is something Beyonce shared after the super bowl, along with saying thank you to Kelly, Michelle, Alicia & JHud.

My only problem with her statement is when I looked at the line up of performers I didn't sit and think "Wow, they're all black!" I at and thought "Wow all young women with talent that started making music in my early teen years! Cool!"

My beef is why did Beyonce turn in into a race thing? Why did she have to treat it like she overcame some huge obstacle, it's not like she fought to preform, she was invited and compensated very generously.

I am just mad because they say racism is very much alive and well in this country today, and I don't disagree, but I think the race we all think of when talking about someone being racist (white is what comes to my mind), isn't the race being racist and keeping it alive.

Just my opinion. Just curious what other people think about Beyonce making it a race thing.

**Edit**Just wanted to add, this is not a debate over the general characteristics of a certain race, it's is also not about Beyonce's Super Bowl performance, or her clothing (or lack of). I just wanted to see how people felt about her basically labeling this as a racial achievement, which I didn't really look at it as such until I read that quote, I just got irritated she brought race into something so racially neutral.**
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM

So true lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Well... It kinda is because the Irish and Native Americans went through way more hardships, slavery and suffering for twice as long as African Americans did. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

It's fine, every time I do something impressive I announce that it's a proud day for native american Irish people lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Maybe because its black history month?
Or maybe she was trying to say how they are all strong black women who arnt video hoes and are being role models for young girls everywhere. Glad im having a boy cuz this nikki minaj crap is crap! Id rather listen to jhud or alicia keys anyday!!
This is just another way to expose people for their closed minded thoughts and attitudes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Exactly. Plus, it's Black History month.

Quoting Kitschy:

Because 40 years ago it wouldn't have happened. It's okay to give a shout out to the woman and African American activists that make her lifestyle even a possibility.
nelliesmommy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Racism will always be around because of stupid people regardless of B making a simple statement. What about before she made the statement? Whose to blame for racism then? Just saying....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM
I think it's strange that she identifies as black. Why isn't it a proud day for everything else she is mixed with? It's just weird.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
excuse me, iam white6'2" been over6 feet since i was 12, i was one of three white kids at my jr high. i was beat up by the blacks, because white girls shouldnt be that tall. it was the hispanic gang member who stopped the blacks from beating me up. i didnt fight back, because ibwas taught violence wasnt the answer.

so dont say that white isnt an issuse. my uncles were contractors, with lower bids and lost contracts because they werent blacked own.

my simi adopted brother, he was my brothers best friend and his mom was a drunk and his dad had left the seen, so he unoffically mived in with us for 6 years until he joined the navy, was 1/2 blacck 1/2 native american. he was also the first boy i made out with. this is to show though i have personal been the victim of racism, i dont return evil to anyone.

Quoting tharealty2:

I would just like to point out - its white people, all over the globe, who have made race an issue,. not just in our not so distant past but to date - white people have made being non white, especially black - a reason for division and superiority.  So YOU have been able to live life where race isnt' an issue for YOU - good on ya, when you walk in the shoes of a minority then you ask 'why did so and so make it an issue of race?'  I'd like to expound further but I'm in betweeen classes.  Live your life as a minority where its made clear to you - it DOES matter, than say it don't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Black people have done the same to white people. And living a life where race wasn't an issue wasn't something "afforded" to me, I chose to live a life where I didn't see people for their color, not everyone around me was like that.
It's not some big achievement to live a life where race doesn't matter, it's a choice, we all choose how to live and what to believe. I think Beyonce making that halftime show about race and not about young, talented performers accomplishing something great was terrible. I didn't even see the fact that all the performers were a minority until SHE pointed it out, and I bet it was like that for a lot of people. She made race the headliner, no one else did.

Quoting tharealty2:

I would just like to point out - its white people, all over the globe, who have made race an issue,. not just in our not so distant past but to date - white people have made being non white, especially black - a reason for division and superiority.  So YOU have been able to live life where race isnt' an issue for YOU - good on ya, when you walk in the shoes of a minority then you ask 'why did so and so make it an issue of race?'  I'd like to expound further but I'm in betweeen classes.  Live your life as a minority where its made clear to you - it DOES matter, than say it don't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see it as turning it into a race thing.  That being said, however, I don't believe that any other Superbowl had all African-American women as the main performers.  It is a step forward, just as it is a step forward that you and most others didn't even think about their race.  A similar step forward is that there wasn't a lot of discussion of the fact that the quarterback for San Francisco is black -- a long way from where things were when Doug Williams was the quarterback 25 years ago.  That is definite progress.

Also, I totally disagree with your position on whether whites are keeping racism alive in this country.  The following is an excerpt from an article published in October about an AP study on racial attitudes in America:

Racial prejudice has increased slightly since 2008 whether those feelings were measured using questions that explicitly asked respondents about racist attitudes, or through an experimental test that measured implicit views toward race without asking questions about that topic directly.

In all, 51% of Americans now express explicit anti-black attitudes, compared with 48% in a similar 2008 survey. When measured by an implicit racial attitudes test, the number of Americans with anti-black sentiments jumped to 56%, up from 49% during the last presidential election. In both tests, the share of Americans expressing pro-black attitudes fell.

"As much as we'd hope the impact of race would decline over time ... it appears the impact of anti-black sentiment on voting is about the same as it was four years ago," said Jon Krosnick, a Stanford University professor who worked with AP to develop the survey.

Most Americans expressed anti-Hispanic sentiments, too. In an AP survey done in 2011, 52% of non-Hispanic whites expressed anti-Hispanic attitudes. That figure rose to 57% in the implicit test. The survey on Hispanics had no past data for comparison.

The AP surveys were conducted with researchers from Stanford University, the University of Michigan and NORC at the University of Chicago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah but any "proud" day for AA women is canceled out by all of Michelle Obama's trashiness.

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I noticed they were all black ...but perhaps that is becauae I am black and it atruck me as unusual. I wondered if it had ever happened before.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)