Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"What a proud day for African American Women"*Small Edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The title is something Beyonce shared after the super bowl, along with saying thank you to Kelly, Michelle, Alicia & JHud.

My only problem with her statement is when I looked at the line up of performers I didn't sit and think "Wow, they're all black!" I at and thought "Wow all young women with talent that started making music in my early teen years! Cool!"

My beef is why did Beyonce turn in into a race thing? Why did she have to treat it like she overcame some huge obstacle, it's not like she fought to preform, she was invited and compensated very generously.

I am just mad because they say racism is very much alive and well in this country today, and I don't disagree, but I think the race we all think of when talking about someone being racist (white is what comes to my mind), isn't the race being racist and keeping it alive.

Just my opinion. Just curious what other people think about Beyonce making it a race thing.

**Edit**Just wanted to add, this is not a debate over the general characteristics of a certain race, it's is also not about Beyonce's Super Bowl performance, or her clothing (or lack of). I just wanted to see how people felt about her basically labeling this as a racial achievement, which I didn't really look at it as such until I read that quote, I just got irritated she brought race into something so racially neutral.**
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Seriously? 

Quoting Anonymous:

So true lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Well... It kinda is because the Irish and Native Americans went through way more hardships, slavery and suffering for twice as long as African Americans did. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

It's fine, every time I do something impressive I announce that it's a proud day for native american Irish people lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Get over it already, damnit. So what if she mentioned race.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Seriously what? You didn't pay attention in history class? lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Seriously? 

Quoting Anonymous:

So true lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Well... It kinda is because the Irish and Native Americans went through way more hardships, slavery and suffering for twice as long as African Americans did. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

It's fine, every time I do something impressive I announce that it's a proud day for native american Irish people lol

Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think she was being racist at all.

But I guess to answer your question, take a look at the past Super Bowl performances. Your answer is in that.

Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I don't know.  I didn't see too much to be proud of myself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Did they happen to mention the accuracy of those results? And really they don't surprise me because there are people out there that will blame Obama's faults on him being black, but this isn't about Obama.
Though I do think Beyonce was a total brown noser where the president and first lady are concerned.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't see it as turning it into a race thing.  That being said, however, I don't believe that any other Superbowl had all African-American women as the main performers.  It is a step forward, just as it is a step forward that you and most others didn't even think about their race.  A similar step forward is that there wasn't a lot of discussion of the fact that the quarterback for San Francisco is black -- a long way from where things were when Doug Williams was the quarterback 25 years ago.  That is definite progress.

Also, I totally disagree with your position on whether whites are keeping racism alive in this country.  The following is an excerpt from an article published in October about an AP study on racial attitudes in America:

Racial prejudice has increased slightly since 2008 whether those feelings were measured using questions that explicitly asked respondents about racist attitudes, or through an experimental test that measured implicit views toward race without asking questions about that topic directly.

In all, 51% of Americans now express explicit anti-black attitudes, compared with 48% in a similar 2008 survey. When measured by an implicit racial attitudes test, the number of Americans with anti-black sentiments jumped to 56%, up from 49% during the last presidential election. In both tests, the share of Americans expressing pro-black attitudes fell.

"As much as we'd hope the impact of race would decline over time ... it appears the impact of anti-black sentiment on voting is about the same as it was four years ago," said Jon Krosnick, a Stanford University professor who worked with AP to develop the survey.

Most Americans expressed anti-Hispanic sentiments, too. In an AP survey done in 2011, 52% of non-Hispanic whites expressed anti-Hispanic attitudes. That figure rose to 57% in the implicit test. The survey on Hispanics had no past data for comparison.

The AP surveys were conducted with researchers from Stanford University, the University of Michigan and NORC at the University of Chicago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM
3 moms liked this

It's hilarious to me how it is that when someone black is famous everyone all of a sudden feels the need to talk about whatever they may be "mixed with", when if that same person wasn't famous and on the street no one would see them as anything but black.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's strange that she identifies as black. Why isn't it a proud day for everything else she is mixed with? It's just weird.

Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

:D This.

Quoting tharealty2:

I would just like to point out - its white people, all over the globe, who have made race an issue,. not just in our not so distant past but to date - white people have made being non white, especially black - a reason for division and superiority.  So YOU have been able to live life where race isnt' an issue for YOU - good on ya, when you walk in the shoes of a minority then you ask 'why did so and so make it an issue of race?'  I'd like to expound further but I'm in betweeen classes.  Live your life as a minority where its made clear to you - it DOES matter, than say it don't.

Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

ITS A PROUD DAY FOR ITALIANS!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

It's hilarious to me how it is that when someone black is famous everyone all of a sudden feels the need to talk about whatever they may be "mixed with", when if that same person wasn't famous and on the street no one would see them as anything but black.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's strange that she identifies as black. Why isn't it a proud day for everything else she is mixed with? It's just weird.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)