Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Helping Nash

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 0 Replies

Just to bring everyone up to speed, my 7 year old, Nash, has been acting up the last few days....close to a week actually. I know he's 7 and kids will be kids, but it was getting to a point that I was getting concerned. I was able to talk to him over the weekend....some mommy and me time. I first tackled the subject of the baby. I might sound like a bad mom, but he was so happy when we first told him that I naively thought everything was good. I told Nash he was going to be a big brother and mommy's #1 helper. He perked up right away. I told him he'd be Chris and my partner in helping take care of the baby, play with him/her, share toys (I have a feeling that'll have to be worked on lol), and teach the baby things we can't. He also can't wait to help do the baby's room and buy things. That was the first part...next came behavior.

I actually took a page from my mother's book. She did this with me when I was a kid and it worked. Nash behaves better when he knows he's getting a reward. For instance, on Saturday we were going to the hockey game. I told him if he threw a fit at all during the day we weren't going, and if he misbehaved at the game, we were leaving early. He did a good job all day...again kids will be kids so he wasn't perfect. Chris and I decided to set up a reward system with Nash. With Nash's help we made a "Goal Chart" of things we would like him to work on. Things such as: picking up toys, table manners, following direction (he's in the habit of talking back), teeth brushing (he forgets), bringing home his lunchbox, going to bed....little things really. Nash will also help us decide how well he did on his goals. We also allowed him to list the rewards he'd like to pick from and he loved doing that. We're not sure how often the rewards are going to come. I'm thinking a weekly basis, but we'll see.

So that's it for now. Reading over this I wonder if I'm taking it to an extreme. I know just because it worked for my mom doesn't mean it'll work for me, but it can't hurt. I'll keep you ladies posted. Wish me luck. :-)

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN