Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I The Only *Poor* Person Who DOESN'T Use Their Taxes To Catch Up On Bills?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies

I don't make a lot of money. We have some extra throughout the year but not a lot. The only PA I get is medical for my disabled son.

But I am never in the position to have to use my tax return to catch up on bills. I use it for whatever. I always buy my son's birthday presents out of it since his birthday is in April but it's never needed to catch up on rent, utilities, anything like that.

I guess maybe I just manage my money well.

Now I understand something unexpected like your car breaking down or maybe your roof started leaking, etc. But so many talk about using it to pay utility bills, catch up in rent, etc. Like I said we don't have a lot but I live within my means so I never need to do that.

But, here is what I also do. With my gas and electric, since they are never more than 100 a month, I send them 100 a month regardless. I build up a nice credit with them and then live off that for a while before I start all over again. It really does save money in the long run I think.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfullem
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM

We normally do not but this year my ex has stopped paying child support again without notice and it through us for a loop.  We are only late on one bill though even without that money in the budget.  NOrmally we use it for other things that need to get done like house and car repairs and tune ups and my kids birthdays too and then we normally save some and go on a weekend trip to somewhere close by to have some fun family time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM

That is why so many in the US have abysmal credit scores.

joyfullem
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM

We do not have a lot of money and we do not use any PA either.

Quoting joyfullem:

We normally do not but this year my ex has stopped paying child support again without notice and it through us for a loop.  We are only late on one bill though even without that money in the budget.  NOrmally we use it for other things that need to get done like house and car repairs and tune ups and my kids birthdays too and then we normally save some and go on a weekend trip to somewhere close by to have some fun family time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM
We don't use it to catch up, just get ahead.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM
When we get ours we have to switch utilities to our name since our roommate moved out, and we're going to pay ahead a few months on rent and pay back a couple loans but other than that we're good.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM
We dont either. We are using ours to get a van or suv. We dont have hardly any money left over but our bills get paid first then we live off of whats left.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM

See I actually have no credit. I have never had a credit card, took out a loan, anything like that. I know paying rent and bills builds it up but not very fast.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is why so many in the US have abysmal credit scores.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Mine always goes into a saving account.

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM

you are not alone. we're "poor" I guess but we use our returns to save for the kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I think the problem is that poor people don't use it for bills, whether it be to catch up or get ahead. That is why some poor people will always be poor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN