Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PARENTS now-a-days are failing!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I understand that teens don't listen all the time and all that. But why are we not instilling traditional values in our children!

Look at how many teen moms we have now.

Why are we not teaching our children safe sex or to refrain from sex. That sex is a special thing to share with someone when your an adult or preferably when your MARRIED!

Accidents happen I understand that but so many kids now-a-days are just NOT using birth control.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (171-180):
Mom2_Jimmy_Anka
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM

"Fewer babies were born to teenagers in 2010 than in any year since the mid-1940's"

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db89.pdf

Quoting Anonymous:

I was alive in the 1940's and a teen in the 1950's and I KNOW what it was like. I studied these things in college. I have SEEN the stats.

How long have YOU been alive? LOL.  I guess if you are young then of course teens have always had lots of sex since you have been alive. But if you were a teen when I was, you would know that the amount of kids having sex and the amount of teenage pregnancies went WAY up after the 1960's. How can you be so smug and so arrogant?

Parents of the 1940's and 1950's were very involved in their kids' lives. Families stayed home. We didn't have TV's until about 1950/ There were no R rated moves. It was rare to even know any details about sex until your Mom finally sat you down and told you when you got your period which was,on the average, age 13. That has changed too. Now girls get their periods before age 12. Everyone matures earlier now,. EVERYTHING was different 50-60 years ago. In my graduating class of 1960, there were 398 students, and only three gilrs  got pregnant and married. The rest of us ( about 98%)went to college. We talked abut this at our reunion in 2010, the fact that we had such a great bunch of kids in our class and the worst trouble any of us got into was sneaking a Marlboro.

You have no clue.

Quoting OneToughMami:

You need to do some research or look into some actual stats.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not a new thing.

But.....there are a whole lot more people having sex ,a lot younger,and a whole lot more teens getting pregnant and not feeling the least bit sorry. I'm not the one in "the bubble" , you are and refusing to face reality. In the last 50 years more people have become less responsible and less moral. That doesn't matter to most of you though. Parents don't seem to care to raise their kids to be moral ... Its all about having fun and ignoring the consequences.

Face it !

Quoting OneToughMami:

I reckon you telling yourself that this is a new thing and living in your little bubble makes you feel better *shrug*

Quoting Anonymous:

If it makes you feel better....ok

Quoting OneToughMami:

Excuse me while I laugh a little at this. Maybe YOU were cautious and conservative. There were plenty of teens having sex and doing other sexual acts in the 1950s.

Quoting Anonymous:

There were a lot less. I grew up in the 50 s ....people were alot more cautious and conservative. After the Age of Aquarius and The Pill everyone was having sex and threw morals out the window. Nowadays girls try to get pregnant. Its depressing.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Did you know teen pregnancy used to happen in the 1950s too?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Now, here's the thing. Parents have been lamenting the failure of the following generation for time immemorial.

Our population is growing exponentially and so are the problems.

I don't agree with a lot of the adherence to 'parenting philosophies' and many people do shit that I think is lame. However, I don't think parents are 'failing' I think the world changes and so do we.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It was also a lot more stigmatized. Girls just kind of 'went away' and I don't trust that one person who 'saw' it really understood what the entire world was like 'back then.'

Living in a society that wasn't updated in real time means that these kinds of things weren't broadcast either.

Quoting Mom2_Jimmy_Anka:

"Fewer babies were born to teenagers in 2010 than in any year since the mid-1940's"

Quoting Anonymous:

I was alive in the 1940's and a teen in the 1950's and I KNOW what it was like. I studied these things in college. I have SEEN the stats.

How long have YOU been alive? LOL.  I guess if you are young then of course teens have always had lots of sex since you have been alive. But if you were a teen when I was, you would know that the amount of kids having sex and the amount of teenage pregnancies went WAY up after the 1960's. How can you be so smug and so arrogant?

Parents of the 1940's and 1950's were very involved in their kids' lives. Families stayed home. We didn't have TV's until about 1950/ There were no R rated moves. It was rare to even know any details about sex until your Mom finally sat you down and told you when you got your period which was,on the average, age 13. That has changed too. Now girls get their periods before age 12. Everyone matures earlier now,. EVERYTHING was different 50-60 years ago. In my graduating class of 1960, there were 398 students, and only three gilrs  got pregnant and married. The rest of us ( about 98%)went to college. We talked abut this at our reunion in 2010, the fact that we had such a great bunch of kids in our class and the worst trouble any of us got into was sneaking a Marlboro.

You have no clue.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not a new thing.

But.....there are a whole lot more people having sex ,a lot younger,and a whole lot more teens getting pregnant and not feeling the least bit sorry. I'm not the one in "the bubble" , you are and refusing to face reality. In the last 50 years more people have become less responsible and less moral. That doesn't matter to most of you though. Parents don't seem to care to raise their kids to be moral ... Its all about having fun and ignoring the consequences.

Face it !

Quoting OneToughMami:

I reckon you telling yourself that this is a new thing and living in your little bubble makes you feel better *shrug*

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Excuse me while I laugh a little at this. Maybe YOU were cautious and conservative. There were plenty of teens having sex and doing other sexual acts in the 1950s.

Quoting Anonymous:

There were a lot less. I grew up in the 50 s ....people were alot more cautious and conservative. After the Age of Aquarius and The Pill everyone was having sex and threw morals out the window. Nowadays girls try to get pregnant. Its depressing.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Mom2_Jimmy_Anka
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The crime rate is also declining.

http://www.soc.umn.edu/~uggen/crime_recession.pdf

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

We are teaching safe sex but we don't teach abstinence. Sex is natural and should be treated as such. I've seen so many KIDS rush to get married to the first person they meet so they can have sex. That isn't responsible either.

We also don't believe in hormonal birth control for young girls. Our children will use condoms and we will teach them NFP if they are having sex.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

i don't get it either, seriously- I went to high school in the SIXTIES and I KNEW all about birth control.  I KNEW what hard work babies were.   I had to babysit a alot, I understood what kids were all about.

I had to work for everything of my own soon as I was 16.  From then on  I had to buy my own clothes, toiletries, etc.. NO WAY was my mom or dad EVER to buy us kids things like  a TV or stereo or our our games or records/cds.  NO did they not believe in buying us cars either.  If we wanted those things, we had to work for them.

This instilled a work knowledge and value of how hard it was to GET that money in me!  And I had my freedoms, too, after school, after work.  I did a LOT of going out on my own, with friends.  As long as I obeyed curfew, and held to my responsibilities, I had a LOT of freedom.

So I ENJOYED myself.  There was NO freaking way I was going to have a BABY and be tied down! NO WAY.

To be tied down at a young age? I thought the girls who did this were morons.  While THEY got married to the FIRST guy who paid them any attention... I got OUT there, cause I made my own money!

I even got to Woodstock!!! We did music venues all the time, hung out with College kids, had great convos long long into the night.... even did the eurorail and hostel thing.....did lots of road trips.

Had great hobbies and interests....

I do NOT understand the girls who think a man is going to be their "salvation" and they sleep with any one of them no matter how much a jerk or can't even support them WELL... then they moan and groan.. he's a jerk- he doesn't even "LOVE" his baby.. he's gonna pay!!

Dumb bunnies, I call them.     They make their own crappy lives.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

So have I. Doesn't matter how old I am, I studied the same stats you did. You seem rather smug and arrogant yourself telling me I can't possibly know the same information. I was unaware that we were not both on devices in which I could have access to statistics...talk about arrogance. You can stop denying that this was happening in the 1940s and 1950s, someone posted a chart that explained it nicely you might want to go look at that. But wait, you lived it, so you know how ever family in America was right?

Quoting Anonymous:

You have no clue.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not a new thing.

Face it !

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OneToughMami:

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Hey now Mom2_Jimmy_Anka and Momniscient we are too young to know all of this! These people lived during that era! Stop using facts guys!

Quoting Momniscient:

It was also a lot more stigmatized. Girls just kind of 'went away' and I don't trust that one person who 'saw' it really understood what the entire world was like 'back then.'

Living in a society that wasn't updated in real time means that these kinds of things weren't broadcast either.

Quoting Mom2_Jimmy_Anka:

Quoting Anonymous:

You have no clue.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not a new thing.

Face it !

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I NEVER denied that it was happening( can you read?) I just said it wasn't as common.

But since you have decided not to try to read accurately and would rather jump to conclusions and be completely unpleaseant, I won't bother to reply again.

I have better things to do than argue with you. Even your SN is unpleasant.

Quoting OneToughMami:

So have I. Doesn't matter how old I am, I studied the same stats you did. You seem rather smug and arrogant yourself telling me I can't possibly know the same information. I was unaware that we were not both on devices in which I could have access to statistics...talk about arrogance. You can stop denying that this was happening in the 1940s and 1950s, someone posted a chart that explained it nicely you might want to go look at that. But wait, you lived it, so you know how ever family in America was right?

Quoting Anonymous:

You have no clue.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not a new thing.

Face it !

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OneToughMami:

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

You are actually pretty rude to me. I was never rude to you. You started calling me rude and saying my screen name was unpleasant. Maybe instead of assuming why I have it, should ask me about it.

Also, I find it extremely hilarious that you are in flat denial of the actual facts and statistics that have been posted numerous times and continue to believe what you want to about the time you grew up. You are ignoring concrete facts from organizations that work hard compiling them together.

I guess it is easier to be rude to someone and insult their screen name when you hide behind the Anonymous feature.

Quoting Anonymous:

I NEVER denied that it was happening( can you read?) I just said it wasn't as common.

But since you have decided not to try to read accurately and would rather jump to conclusions and be completely unpleaseant, I won't bother to reply again.

I have better things to do than argue with you. Even your SN is unpleasant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured