Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

T.V during bedtime

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you let your children watch tv to fall asleep? Why or why not? Dd is 2 and has been having a hard time falling asleep. My mother used to let us watch tv when we were in our rooms and when we decided we didn't want to fall asleep with it anymore we didn't. I'm thinking about letting my dd do this. If i do she will not watch ANY TV during the day and she will only be watching educational shows. what are your thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
ozzyswifey
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I have 4 kids and I let them let them watch tv before they go to bed but at 8 I turn of the twins tv and at 8:30  for my older boys on the weekends I let them stay up till about 10 but they usually always pass out by 8:30 on there own like clockwork .

lowencope
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Well bedtime is 9 so if they go to bed before then they can have tv time. I set the sleep timer so the tv will turn itself off at bedtime. They like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
No, not to fall asleep, that's a terrible habit to teach them. They can watch a bit of T.V before going to bed, but once they're in their beds, they can read or chat for a little while. They don't even have TV, computer or video games in their room.
funny_girl3
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I don't do this because watching tv seems to get my kids wound up.  But I don't have a problem with anyone else doing it, if that's what works for them.  My friend does this with her kids.

DeannaFors
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I use to let my daughter watch tv and fall asleep to it. Until I went in to check on her around midnight and she was still watching it!!! It messed up her sleep schedule. So no more tv at night unless on weekends.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nurbabe82
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I have to have the tv to fall asleep. I like it for back ground noise.

mymanben
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM
He's 3. But its not nightly. Its usually just when he is sick. Normally we read a story before bed and turn out the lights and he's fine with no tv

Quoting Anonymous:

How old is he?

Quoting mymanben:

My son watches it at night. People say its wrong but whatever. I watched it growing up and I'm fine. My son can also go without it

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Diamepphyre
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

No, we never did that.  They were put in their cribs at the same time every night.  If they cried we checked to make sure they were not wet, thirsty, or hurt in any way and if they weren't we let them CIO.  When they got older, they still had a set bedtime, but could read quietly in their rooms if they weren't quite sleepy enough yet, and we'd turn the lights off when we went to bed ourselves. 

luvmymunchkins3
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

the same with my kids

Quoting mymanben:

My son watches it at night. People say its wrong but whatever. I watched it growing up and I'm fine. My son can also go without it

luvmymonkeys27
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

My daughter (2) falls asleep right away (we do story time together, then I take her into her room, sing her a song, lights off and she goes to sleep), but my son (4) is allowed to read with the lights on for an hour and a half.... then the lights go off. Generally by then he's fallen asleep, but if he's still awake the lights still go off and he falls asleep. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She loves books and we thought of that but, how can she read if the lights are out? That won't promote a sleepy environment.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

No. My children are allowed to read books when they are falling asleep, but they do not and will not have televisions in their rooms. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured