Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

T.V during bedtime

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you let your children watch tv to fall asleep? Why or why not? Dd is 2 and has been having a hard time falling asleep. My mother used to let us watch tv when we were in our rooms and when we decided we didn't want to fall asleep with it anymore we didn't. I'm thinking about letting my dd do this. If i do she will not watch ANY TV during the day and she will only be watching educational shows. what are your thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM

i let my kids do that when they were little.after they would fall asleep i would turn the tv off.they never wroke up.they slept all night..and now when they watch tv and when they are ready  go to bed they turn their tv's off.it didnt hurt them or me..and they never gave me promblems getting up the next morning for school and they still dont..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM

My DH lets SD do that & it makes me crazy. She's 8 now. 

I don't allow my DD to. I read a lot of research about it & the end result is not good. Apparently it is too much activity as they are falling asleep & it affects the quality of sleep they get for the night.

When my DD was 2, I just stayed in the room until she fell asleep when she had trouble.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I do story time. We read 3-4 books before bed. She has a strict routine. Brush teeth, get changed, story time, radio on, lights off, bed. I even sing a few songs every night when i lay her down but, no matter what, as soon as i leave she starts screaming. I'm at my wits end. The only way she won't cry is if dh or i stay in her room until she falls asleep! Which could take hours. She used to be fine going to sleep now all of a sudden for the last few months or so she gives us a hard time. I just don't know what to do.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

My daughter (2) falls asleep right away (we do story time together, then I take her into her room, sing her a song, lights off and she goes to sleep), but my son (4) is allowed to read with the lights on for an hour and a half.... then the lights go off. Generally by then he's fallen asleep, but if he's still awake the lights still go off and he falls asleep. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She loves books and we thought of that but, how can she read if the lights are out? That won't promote a sleepy environment.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

No. My children are allowed to read books when they are falling asleep, but they do not and will not have televisions in their rooms. 

mymanben
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Ya, it doesn't effect my son. Its lights and tv out at 8 regardless. He always says "okay mommy" than goes right to sleep. He doesn't get tv during the day normally unless he's with gramma. Than of course if I'm sick or have a lot to I might let him watch it

Quoting luvmymunchkins3:

the same with my kids

Quoting mymanben:

My son watches it at night. People say its wrong but whatever. I watched it growing up and I'm fine. My son can also go without it

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ilahall
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM

my dd is 2.5 and has been watching tv at bedtime since she was about a yr old. she watches 1movie and when it goes off its off for good. then she just rolls over and falls asleep. its not a bad thing its whatever works for you and your child. my 1yr old falls asleep fine without it and it will stay that way until she gets older and wants her tv on.we also read books and the tv is on during the day almost all day. i dont see anything wrong with it. once summer hits, the tv will be off and we will be outside most of the day!

jynkx
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM

i dont like that idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM

We tried that. Our dd just did not fall asleep. She forced herself to stay awake. In fact, any time we turned the TV off, she cried and screamed. So, we got rid of TV altogether.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Ds1- only on weekends

Ds2- not at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymonkeys27
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

My daughter went through that stage... it's horrible, I know. We did the "back to bed" routine with her (Super Nanny) and it really worked. It took about 5-6 verrrrrrry long nights for her to "get" it, but now she goes to bed with absolutely no problem. Good luck, I now how stressful it can be!! 

Quoting Anonymous:

I do story time. We read 3-4 books before bed. She has a strict routine. Brush teeth, get changed, story time, radio on, lights off, bed. I even sing a few songs every night when i lay her down but, no matter what, as soon as i leave she starts screaming. I'm at my wits end. The only way she won't cry is if dh or i stay in her room until she falls asleep! Which could take hours. She used to be fine going to sleep now all of a sudden for the last few months or so she gives us a hard time. I just don't know what to do.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

My daughter (2) falls asleep right away (we do story time together, then I take her into her room, sing her a song, lights off and she goes to sleep), but my son (4) is allowed to read with the lights on for an hour and a half.... then the lights go off. Generally by then he's fallen asleep, but if he's still awake the lights still go off and he falls asleep. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She loves books and we thought of that but, how can she read if the lights are out? That won't promote a sleepy environment.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

No. My children are allowed to read books when they are falling asleep, but they do not and will not have televisions in their rooms. 

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I don't let my kids. There is no TV in their room. They fall asleep to a CD.

I fall asleep to TV. I didn't start this until I was 16 years old. :P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)