Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

T.V during bedtime

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you let your children watch tv to fall asleep? Why or why not? Dd is 2 and has been having a hard time falling asleep. My mother used to let us watch tv when we were in our rooms and when we decided we didn't want to fall asleep with it anymore we didn't. I'm thinking about letting my dd do this. If i do she will not watch ANY TV during the day and she will only be watching educational shows. what are your thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Same here same reason. Education is power, isn't it?

Quoting LucyHarper:

No, it is horrible for their sleep cycles. We also don't allow tv's in the bedrooms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Back to bed? I'm going to look it up, thanks. It is stressful but, that's parenting lol

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

My daughter went through that stage... it's horrible, I know. We did the "back to bed" routine with her (Super Nanny) and it really worked. It took about 5-6 verrrrrrry long nights for her to "get" it, but now she goes to bed with absolutely no problem. Good luck, I now how stressful it can be!! 

Quoting Anonymous:

I do story time. We read 3-4 books before bed. She has a strict routine. Brush teeth, get changed, story time, radio on, lights off, bed. I even sing a few songs every night when i lay her down but, no matter what, as soon as i leave she starts screaming. I'm at my wits end. The only way she won't cry is if dh or i stay in her room until she falls asleep! Which could take hours. She used to be fine going to sleep now all of a sudden for the last few months or so she gives us a hard time. I just don't know what to do.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

My daughter (2) falls asleep right away (we do story time together, then I take her into her room, sing her a song, lights off and she goes to sleep), but my son (4) is allowed to read with the lights on for an hour and a half.... then the lights go off. Generally by then he's fallen asleep, but if he's still awake the lights still go off and he falls asleep. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She loves books and we thought of that but, how can she read if the lights are out? That won't promote a sleepy environment.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

No. My children are allowed to read books when they are falling asleep, but they do not and will not have televisions in their rooms. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Yes, I let my dd. She is 11. She has to have sound to fall asleep. If its quiet she cannot sleep. She keeps it on low and it does not keep her up at night. She is still asleep between 9:30-10:00, which is her bedtime. If she doesn't have her tv on she will stay up really late. I know its weird. Our house was never quiet when she was a baby and she got use to sleeping with noise,so she still needs noise to fall asleep.
luvmymonkeys27
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

My daughter is one of the most stubborn children on the planet (literally lol!) and this worked like a charm. The trick is sticking to it! 

Once a child has his own bed, climbing out to pay you a visit could become his favourite game, especially if the effort pays off with a night in Mum and Dad’s bed. Even good sleepers can change their habits at different stages in their development. and this may be disruptive for siblings not to mention the parents! Be consistent and follow these steps and you should create the right environment for your child to stay in his own bed all night.

Steps to keep your child in bed

Follow a calming Bedtime Routine. Before he gets into bed, make sure he has no reason to get up - he’s been to the toilet, he’s had a little water - and it’s clear that you expect him to stay in bed now. This way, if he gets out of bed, you won’t be drawn into a discussion about why he’s up, and you can get on with the business of getting him back to sleep: 

• The first time he gets up, remind him that it’s bedtime, lead him back to bed, give him a kiss and a cuddle, and leave the bedroom.
  • The second time, do the same but use a firmer voice and make the kiss and cuddle brief.
  • The third and any subsequent times, say nothing at all as you lead him back to bed, tuck him in, and leave the room. This is the hard part, and it’s very tempting to give a cuddle. Remember that a gentle, consistent approach will convince your child that you’re there for him, but that you insist he sleeps in their own bed.
Quoting Anonymous:

Back to bed? I'm going to look it up, thanks. It is stressful but, that's parenting lol

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

My daughter went through that stage... it's horrible, I know. We did the "back to bed" routine with her (Super Nanny) and it really worked. It took about 5-6 verrrrrrry long nights for her to "get" it, but now she goes to bed with absolutely no problem. Good luck, I now how stressful it can be!! 

Quoting Anonymous:

I do story time. We read 3-4 books before bed. She has a strict routine. Brush teeth, get changed, story time, radio on, lights off, bed. I even sing a few songs every night when i lay her down but, no matter what, as soon as i leave she starts screaming. I'm at my wits end. The only way she won't cry is if dh or i stay in her room until she falls asleep! Which could take hours. She used to be fine going to sleep now all of a sudden for the last few months or so she gives us a hard time. I just don't know what to do.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

My daughter (2) falls asleep right away (we do story time together, then I take her into her room, sing her a song, lights off and she goes to sleep), but my son (4) is allowed to read with the lights on for an hour and a half.... then the lights go off. Generally by then he's fallen asleep, but if he's still awake the lights still go off and he falls asleep. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She loves books and we thought of that but, how can she read if the lights are out? That won't promote a sleepy environment.

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

No. My children are allowed to read books when they are falling asleep, but they do not and will not have televisions in their rooms. 

softkitty42
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

only on the weekend and if he has earned it 

Whisper85
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Nope, we just have one TV in the living room. My kids are 3 and 5. They are allowed to take a book to bed if they want to though. 

wissotamum
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM
No. They don't need it. We read, snuggle, then it's time to sleep. If they have a hard time falling asleep, they have bedside lights and a stack of books to read.
My 9 year old has access to her iPod for an extra half hour at bedtime on the weekend, but that's about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

no beacuse it has been shown (not with anicdotal evidence but thought medical reseach) that children with tvs in their rooms sleep less and weigh more. The tv also effects the quality of children's sleep.

http://www.today.com/moms/tv-bedrooms-may-boost-kids-risk-fat-disease-1C7534786

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/10/24/bedroom-tv-computer-may-hinder-childs-sleep-up-obesity/46578.html

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM

nope.  studies have shown that tv during bedtime isn't good for them, promotes restless sleep and sleep disturbances.

parent her, don't let tv parent her.

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

no, we cuddle, read stories and then it's lights out.  dd knows what the bedtime rules are and we are very strict with bedtime. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)