Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

T.V during bedtime

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Do you let your children watch tv to fall asleep? Why or why not? Dd is 2 and has been having a hard time falling asleep. My mother used to let us watch tv when we were in our rooms and when we decided we didn't want to fall asleep with it anymore we didn't. I'm thinking about letting my dd do this. If i do she will not watch ANY TV during the day and she will only be watching educational shows. what are your thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM
No. I think it's a bad habit personally.
Paranoai
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM

my son only gets 15 minutes at night after his bath, and he would of had to earn it with good behavior through out the day. After that we read a story and go to sleep. I never let him fall asleep with it on. We limit his tv time, and make him earn it.

Aydans_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM
It's on for background noise. He doesn't like music. He looks at books until he falls asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Nope. My son is 9 years old and just now got a TV. He still is only allowed to watch at night on special occasions and never really cares to ask anyways. He's been taught to read a book until he can fall asleep.

matofour
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Never
Ever
First we don't have TVs in bedrooms.
Find a small book light, they even make clip on ones that will clip to a headboard.
Then she can look at books and the light won't keep her up.
Or try music, or even books on CDs.

We won't ever put a tv in our kids rooms. Ever.
So falling asleep to tv won't happen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM
both of my kids have tvs going all night. it helps them fall asleep fast, and doubles as background noise and a nightlight. been that way for a few yrs now. works great for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

we dont let kiddo fall asleep to TV, it makes them dependant on a noise in the background and then you cant fall asleep to quiet. if they just have to have noise, we gave DD a table top fan and that became her white noise generator and way to keep her cool in the summer.

EvilAsh
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Nope because they should learn to get themselves to sleep and not rely on the tv. I don't let them watch tv in their rooms, period. My kids wouldn't sleep, they'd stay up all night watching TV.

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

when she's sick or on the weekend I'll let her watch a show before bed. During the school week no because she won't fall asleep. She'll watch netflix until she's cross eyed. lol

SterlingHeart
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

i let all three of mine watch a disney movie on dvd/vcr (yeah i am old) and set the sleep timers so once movie was done it just turned off.  But we live in a rather noisy area so for us it was more like keeping the outside noises from bothering them or startling them awake when they were just dozing off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)