Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can a 4 year old walk a mile? - update

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 48 Replies

we have a gas station a little less than .5 from our house. the whole way there is through our neighborhood and we'd never be on a main road. it's warm enough outside to go for a walk. I though my 4 year old might think it was really neat to walk to the gas station and pick out a treat, instead of just our normal loop around the block. she is use to walking 1/2 a mile no problem. but I've never taken her farther than that on foot. so round trip to the gas station and back would be about a mile.
is that too far for a 4 year old? I want this to be fun, not a challenge.

update - she did fine. there and back in about 30 minutes with her only complaint being her nose hurt (it was colder out than I thought.) I guess I underestimated her.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Yeah. DD and I used to do it all the time. it takes awhile though lol i think it took us 45 minutes or so to walk a mile

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
She should be fine. ESP if shes used to taking walks. I'm sure you two will have fun :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ALWsMomma
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Yes!
haileys_mommy06
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Sure can!

sktrowb
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM
My dd(3) walks more than a mile when we go walking in the summer... If ur worried she won't make it drag an umbrella stroller with you(since u can keep it folded up and it only uses one hand.
armyvet06
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Sure. My 2 year old can walk that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Easy. My kids are scaling mountains and doing five miles hikes by that age.
LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Yes, we walk on the bike path for fun when the weather is nice. My four and five year olds walk over a mile when we do this. We do take along a stroller or carrier on a bicycle just in case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Absolutely. My 4 year old walks a mile each way for school everyday.
ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

my dd did it this summer at 3 1/2.  we could either wait an hour for the next bus, or walk home.  the kids chose to walk.  it took a while, but I expected it to.  we also stopped at the supermarket on the way home for a treat when we were finished.  there wasn't even really any complaining.  and this was after a few hours at the carnival, they were tired when we got home but still smiling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)