Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O is alcohol a requirement for a wedding reception?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would alcohol or the lack of alcohol being the deciding factor on if you would attend a wedding/reception?

Options:

Yes alcohol would def be my deciding factor

No I don't care one way or another

Monkey butts!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 142

View Results

There was a discussion in another post of mine regarding alcohol at wedding receptions so I thought I'd start a new post and gets y'all's opinion.

Would you base your decision to attend a wedding/reception based solely on if there will be alcohol or not?
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Replies (51-60):
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM
You wouldn't be shelling out 300 for a gift if you attended my reception.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm the one who started the convo with the OP in the other thread.  Here's my take.

If I'm shelling out $300 bucks for a gift, I want the option to have a glass of wine.  No one is forcing the non-drinkers to imbibe, but limiting hose who want to is rude.

Juice toasts seem juvenile and low-class.  

Last, good hosts provide for their guests.  Weddings are celebratory events.  Most people like to drink (I'm not saying sloppily inebriated) while celebrating.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I've actually never attended a reception that did offer alcohol.... not on purpose.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SWasson
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I wouldn't avoid a wedding reception because there won't be booze, but I guess I've been brought up to believe that if neither of you is an alcoholic, it's only polite to provide some sort of drinks at a party.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm the one who started the convo with the OP in the other thread.  Here's my take.

If I'm shelling out $300 bucks for a gift, I want the option to have a glass of wine.  No one is forcing the non-drinkers to imbibe, but limiting hose who want to is rude.

Last, good hosts provide for their guests.  Weddings are celebratory events.  Most people like to drink (I'm not saying sloppily inebriated) while celebrating.

Yes I would.  It's our standard gift ($).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

No.  It screams tacky to only attend a wedding for booze.  There was no alcohol at my wedding.  DH's parents invited someone from where they worked and 1 hour after our wedding he was having DT's and being rude, trying to get DH and his parents to leave with him to go boozing.  That was a fantastic impression they made with my family.  That aside, I have never been to a wedding where alcohol was served at the reception that the whole thing wasn't a complete disaster.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I honestly think its idiotic that "good time" has to equal drugs or alcohol nowadays. Wedding or not.
calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM
There was no alcohol at our reception. I didn't want to pay thousands of dollars for others to get drunk. Plus our reception was at the church.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyF86
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

when my mom got married, they had an open bar. When I got married you had to buy your own drinks. I think a lot of people do BYOB these days. I have been to a few of those.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM
There will be nothing on the registry worth 300 bucks. We simply don't need much and I would not add things simply to add them. Most items will be 25 and under.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes I would.  It's our standard gift ($).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Yeah, and serving a mind altering substance where people will be driving home is so classy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)