Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O is alcohol a requirement for a wedding reception?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would alcohol or the lack of alcohol being the deciding factor on if you would attend a wedding/reception?

Options:

Yes alcohol would def be my deciding factor

No I don't care one way or another

Monkey butts!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 142

View Results

There was a discussion in another post of mine regarding alcohol at wedding receptions so I thought I'd start a new post and gets y'all's opinion.

Would you base your decision to attend a wedding/reception based solely on if there will be alcohol or not?
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Replies (61-70):
Neuro
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM
No, alcohol is not a requirement. I can celebrate the union of two friends very well while sober. It's not about my preferences, it's their day and I go because I want to be there for them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM
My wedding is in March. We are having a champagne toast only. Neither of us drink much and we both have a lot of family members that are recovering alcoholics so that was a factor in our decision. We both have kids and kids will be there so that played a part in the decision. Also it would cost quite a bit and neither of us want pay for it when we don't drink.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I come from a very religious family where alcohol was not around at all. nobody on either side of my family drank alcohol. so no alcohol being served at weddings and parties is very normal for me. it wasn't till I was an adult that I went to an event that served alcohol. honestly, obviously I prefer dry events. every wedding I have been to that had alcohol, people got totally drunk and rowdy. which is annoying. I still go but we tend to leave those weddings earlier cuz we just don't like the atmosphere after awhile. my sister is getting married in may and she is having a dry wedding.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I plan on having alcohol at my wedding because I want to. It is by no means a requirement 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Quoting Roxygurl:

There will be nothing on the registry worth 300 bucks. We simply don't need much and I would not add things simply to add them. Most items will be 25 and under.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

You wouldn't be shelling out 300 for a gift if you attended my reception.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm the one who started the convo with the OP in the other thread.  Here's my take.

If I'm shelling out $300 bucks for a gift, I want the option to have a glass of wine.  No one is forcing the non-drinkers to imbibe, but limiting hose who want to is rude.

Juice toasts seem juvenile and low-class.  

Last, good hosts provide for their guests.  Weddings are celebratory events.  Most people like to drink (I'm not saying sloppily inebriated) while celebrating.

Yes I would.  It's our standard gift ($).

We give cash, hence the dollar sign.

KKmommy3
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

At one point, in my younger years, I would have had an issue if someone did not serve alcohol at the wedding, but now, I don't care, since I rarely drink, and I actually hate it when my DH or anyone in my family does anymore, it is just so annoying.  

Anyway, I did make sure I had open bar for my wedding, and would for any big event in the future, I guess I think it is the right thing to do, because I know a lot of people would be upset if there was a cash bar, or no alcohol at all.

When I have family parties, I do not supply alcohol anymore, It is always BYOB now, because, like I said, I am pretty much done with that.  It is a waste of money and I get so irritated when some people get drunk.

Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I would prefer that at least wine and beer be served in an open bar but limit the amount each guest gets. I'm ok with having a great time but I don't want drama or sloppiness at my wedding.

helema24
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

even if i knew the couple id decline if they were serving alcohol.

power bitch slap internetMuslim Cat prays towards Mecca. LoL by: wirgylovesamletoandshayaprofessor cat. replySPOCK'S MILKSHAKE[]

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, and serving a mind altering substance where people will be driving home is so classy.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm the one who started the convo with the OP in the other thread.  Here's my take.

If I'm shelling out $300 bucks for a gift, I want the option to have a glass of wine.  No one is forcing the non-drinkers to imbibe, but limiting hose who want to is rude.

Juice toasts seem juvenile and low-class.  

Last, good hosts provide for their guests.  Weddings are celebratory events.  Most people like to drink (I'm not saying sloppily inebriated) while celebrating.

There's a difference between getting drunk and enjoying responsibly.  Do you disagree?

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

We didn't have alcohol at mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured