Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O is alcohol a requirement for a wedding reception?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would alcohol or the lack of alcohol being the deciding factor on if you would attend a wedding/reception?

Options:

Yes alcohol would def be my deciding factor

No I don't care one way or another

Monkey butts!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 142

View Results

There was a discussion in another post of mine regarding alcohol at wedding receptions so I thought I'd start a new post and gets y'all's opinion.

Would you base your decision to attend a wedding/reception based solely on if there will be alcohol or not?
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Replies (91-100):
Mystres
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

It is a plus for your adults.  but for my husband and I we would of had to pay for 2 off duty cops, a licensed bartender, the Liquor, and a extra 2000 on the reception Hall, in total adding about $6,000 more to my wedding cost.

~~~~~~~
Find out about our adoption at our Facebook blog.
http://www.facebook.com/MJAdoptionBlog

In 2011 we decided to adopt.
In 2012 we got to take home our Lady Bug
Now in 2013 we will finalize our adoption.

Always1222
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

We didn't serve alcohol at our wedding, but part of it was because the venue we chose did not allow it. Our primary concern though was there are more than a few people in our families that tend to over drink and make things into a drama fest.....I didn't want to spend our special day worrying about that on top of everything else. But I think it just depends on the couple and the people they have  attending. 

nanasue31204
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I refused to have alcohol at mine because people don't know how to behave in my dhs family. Turned out they ruined my wedding anyways so I should have had alcohol just so I could have got drunk and not cared that my wedding was completely destroyed. 9 years later still don't have pics up of our day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM

It should never be a requirement to provide alcohol for guests.  It's a nice touch if you and/or the folks you hang out with like the occasional drink, but I've been to more than one reception where there was no alcohol and they were much nicer than those where alcohol was freely provided.  You don't have to worry about someone driving home under the influence, or about fights breaking out because someone got drunk and wasn't thinking straight. 

macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Prefer alcohol, but would survive without.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Armymom134:

You don't need alcohol to have a good time and if you do, then you have a problem.

Who said you did?

Well obviously if someone won't go to a wedding because alcohol isn't being served then that says that person needs alcohol to have a good time. Really is it that hard to figure that out?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Armymom134:

You don't need alcohol to have a good time and if you do, then you have a problem.

Who said you did?

Well obviously if someone won't go to a wedding because alcohol isn't being served then that says that person needs alcohol to have a good time. Really is it that hard to figure that out?

Untrue.  

I myself said I wouldn't go to a reception without booze because it seems like the hosts are going cheap and looking for a cash grab.  I'm not giving someone $300 and have them tell me I can't have a glass of wine with my meal.  It's rude.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I'd eat and leave.  I don't need alcohol to have a good time, but it's rude not to at least give your guests the option.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Quoting Diamepphyre:

It should never be a requirement to provide alcohol for guests.  It's a nice touch if you and/or the folks you hang out with like the occasional drink, but I've been to more than one reception where there was no alcohol and they were much nicer than those where alcohol was freely provided.  You don't have to worry about someone driving home under the influence, or about fights breaking out because someone got drunk and wasn't thinking straight. 

I disagree.  If your circle drinks, a good host provides.  It's cheap not to.

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Not a deciding factor for me but every dry wedding I have gone to seems to be really boring and no one stays very long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)