Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think Audi is promoting sexual assault and teen violence in their Super Bowl ad?

Posted by   + Show Post

Super Bowl ‘Prom’ Ad Doesn’t Promote Sexual Assault … So Just Relax, People! (VIDEO)

Posted by Jenny Erikson on February 4, 2013 

Some people are attacking one of my favorite ads from this year’s Super Bowl as “promoting sexual assault” because it depicts a teenager forcing himself onto the prom queen. Le sigh, people.

Audi’s ‘prom’ ad shows a seriously cute teenage boy getting ready to attend prom stag (no explanation as to why such a cutie had a problem getting a date, but whatever). His dad gives him the keys to his Audi, and presumably from the courage he gains by driving such a hot car, he parks right in the principal’s spot, walks into the dance, and plants one on the prom queen. The prom king does not look pleased, and the scene cuts to the boy driving away with a black eye and a giant grin. The tag line reads: Bravery. It’s what defines us.

Rather than enjoying the super sweet commercial, some joyless people took to Twitter to condemn it as sexual assault. Um … ok. Not sure how you get that out of the commercial they played, but some people are really determined to stretch reality to fit their narratives.

Kissing a girl is not assault -- it’s called making a move. If you look at the girl’s reaction, it’s not exactly like she’s trying to push him away either. She even seems to enjoy it. Hey, maybe that’s why the kid doesn’t have a date to the prom! He’s never gotten up the gumption to tell her how he feels. Maybe, just maybe, based on her reaction, she feels the same way about him and would be glad to dump her ham-handed boyfriend for him.

Speaking of the prom king and the black eye he gave our hero, if the haters want to call sexism, why don’t they talk about the fact that Audi chose to portray the girl as helpless to defend herself and in need of a man to do it for her? Again, because it’s clear that while caught off guard, the girl liked the kiss. She kissed back. She smiled with a dazed look in her eyes after it was over.

Maybe the kid deserved a black eye for making a move on another guy’s girl -- but he certainly not one for sexual assault.

Do you think Audi is promoting sexual assault and teen violence in the ad?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
jamiegraham
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM

No

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
The intent is everything! Did Audi portray a sexual assault? No, good grief no!
People need to quit looking for the negative in everything. It was a cute commercial, the girl kissed him back and smiled. The boy felt empowered.
I worry more about those that must find the negative in everything!
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Some people will conplain about anything. I don't see any sexual assault.. But okie...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

No, I don't think it promotes sexual assault. He kissed her and she didn't just stand there not reciprocating. Based on her reaction she was a willing partner.  

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I guess it depends on your definition of sexual assault. I doubt many of us would want someone to just walk up and kiss us randomly lol.

I do wonder what people would think if the gender roles were reversed though. I can hear the slut shaming now
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I loved that commercial! 

locaporbebe
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

He kissed her, that is not sexual assualt. People overreact over the littlest things.

Oostera
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, the prom king punching him was more assault than the kiss was, lol!

Lalalie
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Yeah, she looks so assaulted. XD

It's Holden from Pretty Little Liars!

MissMysteriouss
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I thought the commercial was cute.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)