Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think Audi is promoting sexual assault and teen violence in their Super Bowl ad?

Posted by   + Show Post

Super Bowl ‘Prom’ Ad Doesn’t Promote Sexual Assault … So Just Relax, People! (VIDEO)

Posted by Jenny Erikson on February 4, 2013 

Some people are attacking one of my favorite ads from this year’s Super Bowl as “promoting sexual assault” because it depicts a teenager forcing himself onto the prom queen. Le sigh, people.

Audi’s ‘prom’ ad shows a seriously cute teenage boy getting ready to attend prom stag (no explanation as to why such a cutie had a problem getting a date, but whatever). His dad gives him the keys to his Audi, and presumably from the courage he gains by driving such a hot car, he parks right in the principal’s spot, walks into the dance, and plants one on the prom queen. The prom king does not look pleased, and the scene cuts to the boy driving away with a black eye and a giant grin. The tag line reads: Bravery. It’s what defines us.

Rather than enjoying the super sweet commercial, some joyless people took to Twitter to condemn it as sexual assault. Um … ok. Not sure how you get that out of the commercial they played, but some people are really determined to stretch reality to fit their narratives.

Kissing a girl is not assault -- it’s called making a move. If you look at the girl’s reaction, it’s not exactly like she’s trying to push him away either. She even seems to enjoy it. Hey, maybe that’s why the kid doesn’t have a date to the prom! He’s never gotten up the gumption to tell her how he feels. Maybe, just maybe, based on her reaction, she feels the same way about him and would be glad to dump her ham-handed boyfriend for him.

Speaking of the prom king and the black eye he gave our hero, if the haters want to call sexism, why don’t they talk about the fact that Audi chose to portray the girl as helpless to defend herself and in need of a man to do it for her? Again, because it’s clear that while caught off guard, the girl liked the kiss. She kissed back. She smiled with a dazed look in her eyes after it was over.

Maybe the kid deserved a black eye for making a move on another guy’s girl -- but he certainly not one for sexual assault.

Do you think Audi is promoting sexual assault and teen violence in the ad?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Replies (21-30):
kblossom20
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM

LOL NO.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM

No. The girl liked it. He made a move. Boyfriend got mad. End of story. 

He got his dream girl even if only for a moment and got to drive dad's hot car. 

Bitchess
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Nope! She didn't seem to mind the kiss at all. So how is that promoting sexual assualt?

boo   Daisypath Anniversary tickers

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Oh please
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I was kissed like that once - I was not the prom queen :) - and it was electric. I will always fondly remember it. So no - not an assault.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I was kissed like that once - I was not the prom queen :) - and it was electric. I will always fondly remember it. So no - not an assault.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Sexual assault didn't even cross my mind (doesn't typically come to think of it lol sorry that just came out funny) All I could think was

"who is that kid?????where do I know him from??????what was he on??????this is killing me!!!!!!....................................ah!!! Pretty Little Liars! I knew knew that guy"

Meanwhile hubs is shaking his head because this happens to me alot lol and he hates it. Especially when I break out the smartphone in the middle of a movie(at home not theater) to imdb it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:58 PM
It was sweet till the meat head stepped in
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM

No, I took it as "confidence" not sexual assault

Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM

WOW. People really will fuss about anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN