Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think Audi is promoting sexual assault and teen violence in their Super Bowl ad?

Posted by   + Show Post

Super Bowl ‘Prom’ Ad Doesn’t Promote Sexual Assault … So Just Relax, People! (VIDEO)

Posted by Jenny Erikson on February 4, 2013 

Some people are attacking one of my favorite ads from this year’s Super Bowl as “promoting sexual assault” because it depicts a teenager forcing himself onto the prom queen. Le sigh, people.

Audi’s ‘prom’ ad shows a seriously cute teenage boy getting ready to attend prom stag (no explanation as to why such a cutie had a problem getting a date, but whatever). His dad gives him the keys to his Audi, and presumably from the courage he gains by driving such a hot car, he parks right in the principal’s spot, walks into the dance, and plants one on the prom queen. The prom king does not look pleased, and the scene cuts to the boy driving away with a black eye and a giant grin. The tag line reads: Bravery. It’s what defines us.

Rather than enjoying the super sweet commercial, some joyless people took to Twitter to condemn it as sexual assault. Um … ok. Not sure how you get that out of the commercial they played, but some people are really determined to stretch reality to fit their narratives.

Kissing a girl is not assault -- it’s called making a move. If you look at the girl’s reaction, it’s not exactly like she’s trying to push him away either. She even seems to enjoy it. Hey, maybe that’s why the kid doesn’t have a date to the prom! He’s never gotten up the gumption to tell her how he feels. Maybe, just maybe, based on her reaction, she feels the same way about him and would be glad to dump her ham-handed boyfriend for him.

Speaking of the prom king and the black eye he gave our hero, if the haters want to call sexism, why don’t they talk about the fact that Audi chose to portray the girl as helpless to defend herself and in need of a man to do it for her? Again, because it’s clear that while caught off guard, the girl liked the kiss. She kissed back. She smiled with a dazed look in her eyes after it was over.

Maybe the kid deserved a black eye for making a move on another guy’s girl -- but he certainly not one for sexual assault.

Do you think Audi is promoting sexual assault and teen violence in the ad?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Replies (41-50):
T-Rentsmommy06
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

This is exactly what I was thinking. The car gave the kid confidence, so he did something he normally would never do.

Quoting Buggy979:

I to me it showed courage and that you can always live your dream... We don't have that anymore. In todays world to many or most tend to hide or are afraid to conquer anything. because others will put you down, think the law is better or just say things to make themselves feel better because of their own insecurity..

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM
I laughed at it so did my husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom5150
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM
It showed driving a cool car have him confidence. The black eye didn't even phase him. Lol please. People need to chill.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM
This is in my top 3. Def not assult and my teen lovef it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM

this

Quoting Buggy979:

I to me it showed courage and that you can always live your dream... We don't have that anymore. In todays world to many or most tend to hide or are afraid to conquer anything. because others will put you down, think the law is better or just say things to make themselves feel better because of their own insecurity..

nysa76
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Oh good gravy!  That's a stretch if I ever heard one.

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I missed that one but it seems super cute to me!  I had a problem with all the oversexualized commercials that I thought were NOT appropriate for my 8-year old to be watching.  

maryroses
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

oh gosh, no

mary841108
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

haha i thought it was cute!

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

As soon as I watched this ad, I kicked a puppy and crashed a car into a busload of orphans while screaming the lyrics to "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" by the Drowning Pool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN