Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WDYD? - Hair

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you get your hair done?

Options:

Salon

Chain salon

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

My BFF and I were discussing hair the other day. I told her I'm thinking of going to get my hair done in a few days. She told me I should go to her stylist. I told her "Nah that's okay". Her stylist is $50+ for a cut (no color) which I understand is reasonable in a big city where we live. However, I never think her hair is AMAZING or anything. Hell, DH tells me he thinks her cuts make her face look fat. I just tell her it looks nice.

I keep telling her I'm just gonna go to Supercuts or some other low-end chain place and get it cut. I mean, all I really want done is some length cut with choppy layers. Nothing huge. She's convinced she's paying more and getting a better job done...I'm convinced I'm paying for the exact same cut I'd get at her high end salon, for $20 (including tip).

What do YOU do? I added "Other" cause I know some women cut their own hair, or have a friend do it, etc etc. Do you agree with me? With her? Something else?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Bump!!

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I refuse to pay someone a ridiculous amount of money for something I can do myself at home for free.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I completely understand!

If I were good at cutting my own hair, I'd totally do it. But alas, I cannot :/ But I'd rather pay $20 than $50+.

Quoting Diamepphyre:

I refuse to pay someone a ridiculous amount of money for something I can do myself at home for free.

MissMysteriouss
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I go to a really nice salon. The guy who owns the salon is fabulous :) I don't trust anyone else with my hair. To me the higher price is worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I go to a small salon in my town. I've gone there to the same woman for almost 8 years. I pay $23 for a cut. I don't like places like Best Cuts due to bad experiences in the past.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
If you cannot afford to pay $50 for your cut, you should check out all salons and get prices. You get what you pay for. Chain salons like Supercuts, hire people straight out school or they are people who cannot make it in a salon. They work for minimum wage, or a small percentage of each service plus tips. They do not really care if your happy or not because they get paid if you come there or not, and they know that there will be more people who will walk in. Taking length off and adding layers is a technical cut. If they do not have the skills or experience to cut layers that blend, you will end up with a very choppy cut. Think of it this way, if they were good at what they do and experienced, why would they work for $8, when they can work for a salon and make at least $20 and hour? When you walk into a Supercuts, you don't know if that person just got out school or how good they are. You are taking a big risk. If you go to a salon and the stylist messes up or your not happy, the salon will do everything they can to make you happy, the Supercuts doesn't care. Also, you cannot judge how well your friends stylist is, just because you do not care for her cut. She chooses the cut and the stylist does it. Plus your friend may not be able to style her hair like it is suppose to be with that cut.
robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Well like I said in the OP, my BFF's stylist does what anyone else could at a place like Supercuts. It doesn't look amazing, or even proper for her face. 

I also went to a nicer local salon once, paid $45 plus tip, and was displeased despite the salon having a good review, and speaking to a manager. Why bother?

Quoting Anonymous:

If you cannot afford to pay $50 for your cut, you should check out all salons and get prices. You get what you pay for. Chain salons like Supercuts, hire people straight out school or they are people who cannot make it in a salon. They work for minimum wage, or a small percentage of each service plus tips. They do not really care if your happy or not because they get paid if you come there or not, and they know that there will be more people who will walk in. Taking length off and adding layers is a technical cut. If they do not have the skills or experience to cut layers that blend, you will end up with a very choppy cut. Think of it this way, if they were good at what they do and experienced, why would they work for $8, when they can work for a salon and make at least $20 and hour? When you walk into a Supercuts, you don't know if that person just got out school or how good they are. You are taking a big risk. If you go to a salon and the stylist messes up or your not happy, the salon will do everything they can to make you happy, the Supercuts doesn't care. Also, you cannot judge how well your friends stylist is, just because you do not care for her cut. She chooses the cut and the stylist does it. Plus your friend may not be able to style her hair like it is suppose to be with that cut.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM
It's the style she chooses. You and her do not have the same type of hair or taste. You can't base an opinion on a stylist's skills by what your friend chooses. You should find a person who has a haircut you like and ask them where they get their hair done. I'm not saying to go to your friends stylist, I am just telling you the type of stylists generally employed at places like Supercuts.

Quoting robibuni:

Well like I said in the OP, my BFF's stylist does what anyone else could at a place like Supercuts. It doesn't look amazing, or even proper for her face. 

I also went to a nicer local salon once, paid $45 plus tip, and was displeased despite the salon having a good review, and speaking to a manager. Why bother?

Quoting Anonymous:

kblossom20
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I definitely agree with your friend. I've been going to the same stylist for years. He charges 45$ for a cut. About a month ago I thought I'd try out a great clips to save some money, since ALL I wanted was an inch taken off, and my bangs cut. They completely fucked up my hair. You might as well hand a half brained monkey a pair of scissors to cut your hair if you're gonna go to a place like that. *Sad truth*

It's worth spending the extra money to go to a professional salon. Just give it a try. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I go to a salon. It took years to find someone that can do my hair. I pay $35 for a cut and style and tip her $10.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)