Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She drove a 15 month 20 minutes with no car seat *ETA*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies

I am LIVID right now. We pay my MIL to babysit my dd (15 months) for TWO HOURS on Monday's while I go to class. Every Monday I leave the car seat and the base in case she needs to go somewhere. We've shown her how to properly put the base and car seat in the car but she's never had to use it before. 

Today I go to pick dd up after class and no one is there. Okay, fine, they went somewhere. They come home about 15 minutes later and dd wasn't in her car seat. They had her sitting in the middle of the truck with just a seat belt. I asked where they drove (not that it mattered because I was already pissed anyway) and she says "we went to take a load of wood to someone. The lady called and said she wanted some now." 

So my next question was why wasn't my dd in her car seat. MIL says "I couldn't remember how to put the base in the car so I just figured she could sit in the middle and be okay." 

Um, no. First of all, it was an emergency. Second of all, they were driving on the most dangerous road in our county. There have been 6 deaths on that road in the past few months because it's so curvy and there are so many blind spots. I am so pissed that I can't even see straight so I just took dd and left before I said anything that I would regret later. I'm going to talk to SO about it when he gets home to see what he has to say about it. 

MIL thinks I was overreacting by telling her that if she couldn't figure out how to put the base in then she should have waited until I got home, especially in a non-emergency situation. Do you think I'm overreacting??

ETA:

Since everyone is asking, we had my dd in a toddler carseat until we went to the doctor for her 14 month checkup and the doctor told us that she is the size of a 10 month old and isn't ready for a toddler car seat so we just put her back in an infant one. She is the appropriate size and height for her carrier.

Also, we went to speak with MIL and she admitted that she remembered how to put the carseat in but she just didn't think it was that big of a deal. We explained to her that it is incredibly dangerous and we are still debating on whether or not we want her to continue babysitting. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awful! Unfortunately some of the older generation do not know/care to know the importance of car seats and how far they have come. My mom doesn't think car seats are nearly as important as I do, kwim?

nicole4ray
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be beyond angry. That is very dangerous. I would not be leaving my child with someone that you can't trust.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I completely understand that. My SO has even told me that he was only in a car seat a couple of months before she just decided to hold him, which shocked me. But we told her that if she was to go anywhere, that dd needed to be in her carseat, which is why we showed her how to properly put it in there.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

That is awful! Unfortunately some of the older generation do not know/care to know the importance of car seats and how far they have come. My mom doesn't think car seats are nearly as important as I do, kwim?

angevil53
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Um why is there a base and a carseat with a toddler. Thry should be in a convertible car seat. Probably rf.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you should find a new sitter. Your mil was very foolish to do something like this. She must be one of those mother in laws who don't think the rules apply to her.
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh hell no you are not overreacting! In fact I would not allow her to watch your child in the future. Her age or the fact she is from another generation is BS. I am a Nana and take care of my grandson full time. You need to find someone else to babysit...someone you can trust.

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I would NEVER trust her with my child alone again.  There are things I am flexible with such as junk food and staying up late when my kids are with grandma, but I will not bend on the car seat issue.

Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM
2 moms liked this

My first thought is how many times has she already done it and you just haven't caught her.  I doubt you happened to be there there first time she chose to do it.

I would be finding someone else to babysit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM
You were not overreacting at all! I would be livid if anyone did that. My MIL used to sneak behind my back and let my dd ride in the front seat. And at the time my dd was only 3-4 years old. I was livid as well!
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I wondered that, too.

Quoting angevil53:

Um why is there a base and a carseat with a toddler. Thry should be in a convertible car seat. Probably rf.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN