Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OMFG, what is with the WHYS??!!

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM
  • 17 Replies

My DS is 21mths old, I thought I had time. I babysit a little girl that is his age and a little boy that is 3yrs. The little boy is in the "why" phase. Now, my DS has picked it up and it is driving me CRAZY!!! Especially because I don't even think he understands it. I try to explain things but he just seems too young to me to even understand my reasoning. I don't want to scare him off of asking questions but, really??? I get to a point where I get so fed up with answering the same questions that I just say, "Because that is how it was made." GAH!

Has anyone else gone through the why phase with an under two year old?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM

LOL.  I remember those days.  Have fun with that.  :D

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM

"because it just is" was said probably over 50 times a day during that phase lol it passes...

spicy_n_sweet
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember that stage..  It was a lovely stage..not.It will pass. 

Once you get pass the "why" stage, they are old enough to not just ask "why" but to question "why".

That's when it starts getting really interesting.   Then you go to the stage where they feel they can explain to you why.

Then it's the they think they know why, better than you do, or know more than you do.

Then from there you go to the "they actually do know why and sometimes know more than you do (depending on subject).

Parenthood, an ever evolving journey of "why's".. lol

EachNewBreath
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I was a why child. FOR EVER! think middle school. My parents eventually came up with this idea that worked well

"....Why do YOU think honey?"

armywifey26
by Krissy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Mine is 8 and STILL somewhat in that phase. Only now, she's all about the details and if I can't explain or don't know how to, she just keeps on about it until I answer her. Oh and yes it drives me insane too!! Sometimes I'll say "that's just how it is" or "how should I know, I didn't make it." Lol
rockin2_manyMOM
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this
My favorite answer for that stage is "why do you think so?"
As in "why is the sky blue?"
"why do you think the sky is blue?"
Usually the answer is great! Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM

but why?

Kool_Aide
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

After explaining it the correct way several times I would start answering: because aliens eat bananas! Or because the sky is packing its suitcase and leaving for a 4 day trip to the ground, my kids would just stare at me confused and the. I would tell them they should have excepted the first answer, hee hee

SillySally83
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM

lol At first I tried to give thoughtful answers, then it became, "why do you think its like that?" so she would have to think for herself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN