Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

someone was living in our old apartment!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
I called to get the deposit, because I cleaned it spotless and NOTHING was left in it. We moved out on October 8th. Turned the keys in. I called today to see where my deposit is, and they tell me I owe 458$. WTF. because I didn't move out until November the 5th. How is that possible when I moved 2 states away?? They said I really owed 800 something but the deposit lowered it to 458. They said I left it trashed and a mattress there and food in the refrigerator. Ashes and cig butts all over. WTF??? They don't believe I wasn't there. They have video of the apartment and all these damages. What do I do?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Get a lawyer.
BambiF
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow! Is there any way you can prove you were in another state at the time? Like a lease or a bill dated for that time
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM
This is a good idea

Quoting BambiF:

Wow! Is there any way you can prove you were in another state at the time? Like a lease or a bill dated for that time
Luna091306
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you take pictures before you left? Always take pictures! You could take them to small claims court and sue. If you turned your keys in on the 8th they should have a record of that.

Luna091306
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

This too!

Quoting BambiF:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Yes! My husband has orders from the army stating he must arrive by October 10, 2012. We signed our lease here that same day. Got our lights and all in my name on the 11th.

Quoting BambiF:

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Have your landlord for the new place you're in vouch for you and your presence at the new apartment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM
They have no record of keys being turned in until November 5th by someone that wasn't me or my husband.

Quoting Luna091306:

Did you take pictures before you left? Always take pictures! You could take them to small claims court and sue. If you turned your keys in on the 8th they should have a record of that.

RigPrincess85
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

When I left out last apartment they tried to claim I didn't clean anything out so they would be keeping the deposit. I marched in there with pictures and told them unless they felt like going to court that they may want to take a better look at the apartment.

Quoting Luna091306:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

You would need to prove that you left the keys on the date you state AND that you left the area on the same day.  Otherwise it becomes their word against yours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)