Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Smoking while pregnant and it's effects

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM
  • 74 Replies
2 moms liked this

My bff just found out she is preggo after 7 years of trying. Also just found out she is RH-, which they say may or may not affect her and her baby. But she called very worried about it. She went on to pose the question, "How come women who smoke and drink during pregnancy seem to have no issues having babies, but women who do it right have all the problems?" I thought about it. It's a good question. But a better question is why do people who smoke during pregnancy not see the effects it has on their babies? I have 5 women in my family who smoked during pregnancy. 8 of the 11 children have problems. My niece has 2 girls, she smoked during both pregnancies, both have breathing problems and require breathing machines. Her sister smoked for all 3 of her pregnancies, 2 of 3 require a breathing machine. My cousin smoked during 2 of her 3 pregnancies. The oldest is fine, she didn't smoke with him. The middle needs a breathing machine, and the youngest died of sids at 5 weeks. The doctor thinks it was not only because she smoked while pregnant, but also around her kids after they were born. My younger SIL smoked with both pregnancies, my older nephew has no problems, my younger nephew has asthma and has had pneumonia 3 times (He just turned 1). My older SIL just has my niece, she delivered her 10 weeks premature and at a VERY low birth rate. She almost died, but now needs an inhaler on a daily basis. Too me this is concrete evidence that smoking while pregnant is stupid, selfish and dangerous. Why don't people see what it's doing to their kids? There are warnings everywhere about the dangers on smoking while pregnant. I guess people are just selfish.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Affect is a verb, meaning to cause something to happen. Effect is a noun, which is the result of having happened. I think you used it right most times but there are a few oddballs.
SillySally83
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

*Effects

Armadillo79
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Are you a smoker? Have you ever been a smoker? I think it's shitty but I have had the opposite. Everyone in my family who have smoked pregnant have perfectly healthy normal kids

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

CRAP! LOL, thanks. I fixed it. I was debating in my head which one it was, I knew I should have googled it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Affect is a verb, meaning to cause something to happen. Effect is a noun, which is the result of having happened. I think you used it right most times but there are a few oddballs.

Mommy383
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM
I know of someone who smoked and allowed others to smoke in their house. The baby was born prematurely, in NICU for two weeks. And then she gets on Fb, "its cold not taking the baby out". B!+
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Every time you smoke while pregnant it drops the baby's heartbeat. Every inhale does damage to the child.

It's really sad to watch, not even born and the mother already is putting her needs and wants first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I smoked with all 4 of my kids and none of them have any breathing problems and they were all big babies. I think maybe it depends on how much you smoke, and if you smoke inside breathing in that 2nd hand carbon dioxide. I tried to quit with my first and the shock made me almost miscarry, so the doc told me to just cut back to 5 a day to keep the baby from going though with drawls... I went ahead and did the same for the rest of my pregnancies as well and none of their doctors had any problems with it, they all encouraged it.

MaileysMommy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Quoting Armadillo79:

Everyone in my family who have smoked pregnant have perfectly healthy normal kids

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM
You're a liar. Or your family really shouldn't be spreading those genes around. Smoking wouldn't caused alllllll of that mess.
SterlingHeart
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

i smoked with all 3 and they were over 8 lbs each - perfect and healthy without one issue --- i did cut down to like only a few a day but never did completely quit 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)