Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

GET OVER YOURSELF!!!

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM
  • 41 Replies
3 moms liked this

What is with all of the mom's on here that want to go around bashing someone else's choice to have a child young? Just because you waited until you were out of your teens doesn't make you any better than the ones who had a baby young. Just because a woman is still in her teens that doesn't mean that she can't be a great mother. Yes life is harder when you are a young mother but one person saying that someone having a child young makes them a disgrace, or uneducated, or a slut or anything else. Just because you weren't in your teens or even early 20's when you have your child doesn't mean that you are better than anyone else and you need to quit bashing people or trying to make them feel like they are any less of a good parent because they chose a different path than you. Get off your high horses and remember what is right for you might not be what is right for someone else.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AA2.0
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Funny thing is, way back in the day, women were married with children at 15 and 16 all the time. Ah, how times have changed.

I will say that I think it is irresponsible to have a child in high school. But it's not my decision so not really something I'm going to rage over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you to an extent. A teen can be a good parent but to me, part of being a good parent is being able to providing what that child needs. A mom having a child while still in high school or shortly there after is not financially able to provide for the needs of her child.

I was a teen mom so I do think it is possible for a teen to be a good mother and to not feel like she "gave up" or "missed out" on her teen years and to put all of themselves into their child, but my children have gone without bc of my poor choices, if I had to do it over again, I would have waited until I was finished with college to have my children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I AM a better mother than all the teen moms that I know,  i'm sure there are a few good teen moms out there but I have yet to see them!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Uh.. having a baby BEFORE YOU ARE INDEPENDENT? Stupid.  Sure even a teen can and will love their baby and be a "good mother"

BUT what teen is on their own. It's immature and totally selfish to have a baby when you are NOT financially independent.

TRUTH.   

mjismom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I was a teen mom also. I did finish high school and college while working to support my son. I know how hard it is but it can be done. I'm not saying my son had it all but he had a mother that worked her butt off to provide for him and make sure he was well taken care of.

HotJerZMama
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I agree- being financially able to care for your kids is part of being a good mom no matter what your age. Although I also agree with the OP that your age shouldn't really matter. I was 24 when I had my son but I looked young so a lot of older moms assumed I was a teen mom even though I already finished college and was financially independent. It's horrible how people judge without even knowing your situation. To the OP- don't worry about what people say and think- the way I look at it is that they are thinking whatever bs they want now but when your child is a teen you'll still have the energy to keep up whereas the older moms will be borderline senile :) no offense to the older moms out there.

Quoting LauraMH:

I agree with you to an extent. A teen can be a good parent but to me, part of being a good parent is being able to providing what that child needs. A mom having a child while still in high school or shortly there after is not financially able to provide for the needs of her child.

I was a teen mom so I do think it is possible for a teen to be a good mother and to not feel like she "gave up" or "missed out" on her teen years and to put all of themselves into their child, but my children have gone without bc of my poor choices, if I had to do it over again, I would have waited until I was finished with college to have my children.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think people question how responsible it is - meaning, can you finish your education, get a job and stand on your own tepee feet while having a child. Usually, these situations become something for the tax payers to deal with. And most hardworking people, paying their taxes don't like to pick up the tab for people making bad decisions.

it is different if you have the support of the father and you're a family unit providing for one another...sometimes grandparents and extended family help to support, out of kindness, but it isn't fair for them to have to take it on either.

"I like that about the Republicans; the evidence does not faze them, they are not bothered at all by the facts"  PresidentWilliam J. Clinton

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I dont get why bashing goes on at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and own choices. Just because you(in general) dont agree doesnt mean its ok to bash someone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I was a teen mom right out of high school and have been able to financially support my child since, just recently had my second.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:25 PM

So then is this something that you would want for your son, that he starts a family while still in high school?

Quoting mjismom:

I was a teen mom also. I did finish high school and college while working to support my son. I know how hard it is but it can be done. I'm not saying my son had it all but he had a mother that worked her butt off to provide for him and make sure he was well taken care of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN