Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do so many people think spanking/hitting are the only ways you can discipline a child?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies
I am from the area where the store clerk beat a child with a belt for acting up in the store. My local news station's FB page is flooded with people applauding this woman for beating this child and saying if more parents spanked children would be better behaved. you know back in the "good ol' days your neighbor could whoop you and then when you got home you got another whoopin". Why? If spanking works for you then great. Spanking does not work in my home. We use other forms of discipline and I have good children. Why do people assume that just because you don't spank your children are not disciplined and don't know how to behave in public? And yes I know there is a difference between spanking and beating, in the situation they're talking about this woman beat the child.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Hey, I always scream before I beat! It's just cruel to beat them without screaming in their faces that you're gonna do it beforehand
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM
3 moms liked this
A better question would be: why do spanking parents act as if unspanked children are not disciplined AT ALL? Pisses me off...

And this: why do spanking parents resist when they are told of non physical ways to discipline?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
model1000mom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

mcclainprincess
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM
8 moms liked this
I'm a spanker. However, that is never the first second or even third thing i try when disciplining my son. Do not lump me or others like me into that type of category.
singlemom1208
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Whatever the parents were doing wasn't working. Btw, I in no way think what she did was ok
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I spank. I also use other discipline methods as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Oh no, I'm sorry I didn't mean to do that at all.  Most parents I know who spank use it as a last resort and try other things first.  The way these people are talking is spanking (or in some cases beating) is the absolute only way to get a child to be respectful and behave.  Some of the comments are down right disturbing.

Quoting mcclainprincess:

I'm a spanker. However, that is never the first second or even third thing i try when disciplining my son. Do not lump me or others like me into that type of category.

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

One of my kids I spank and the other one I dont have too. My DD is so defiant....If she constantly continues to do something I have asked her not to do, or if she does something dangerous and she knows it she gets a spanking. DO I give her a warning and discuss why we shouldn't be doing whatever it is first, yes. However, my DS....has hardly ever had a spanking because he listens and doesn't typically do what hes not supposed to do just to be defiant.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

That's a good one too.  I just read a comment where a person said that you can tell who doesn't discipline their children after a few people calmly stated that spanking was not the only form of effective discipline out there.  She continued saying that we're the ones who send our brats to school and let them act up and blame teachers and administration when they get in trouble.  I know plenty of spanked children who get in trouble at school.

Quoting Anonymous:

A better question would be: why do spanking parents act as if unspanked children are not disciplined AT ALL? Pisses me off...

And this: why do spanking parents resist when they are told of non physical ways to discipline?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I am a spanker but I would never applaud that woman. She had no right to take a belt to someone elses child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured