Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes i hit your dog, and no! i did not stop to check if it was okay!

Posted by   + Show Post

Today i was driving my durango out to the lake. Its on backroads out in the country. I was driving, and being careful because even tho its 40 degrees outside, theres still random ice spots on the roads. I happened to look outside the side window for just a second and BAMM! I hit a dog. It was a great dane sized dog. It hit hard, and i didn't see the dog and my heart dropped (believe it or not, i am an animal lover) so i opened the door and the dog came charing at me, jumping up scratched the door and chased my truck biting at the tires. 

Like hell if i was going to get out to check on that dog. If it still had that much mean in it, it was good enough confirmation for me.  I got out to the lake, and a truck pulls up and starts writing down my plate numbers, i asked if there was a problem and he said i hit his dog and drove off without even checking if the dog was okay. I told him i DID hit his dog, i'm not gonna lie. However, i told him the dog charged and tried attacking me and i wasn't going to stay around with that shit. 

He took my plate number, and then got the dog out of his truck. The dog was nice, i apologized but explained the situation and he continued to bitch that its illegal and i could be charged with hit and run and that he plans on calling the police and seeing what action he should take. The dog was fine, could jump in the back of his lifted truck. 

And besides that, i still have out of plate licenses, so its not a curent address anyways.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
toopicky429
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Hitting a dog is the dog owners fault unless I'm mistaken. If it did damage to your car you can go after them. In the dog's defense, if I had just been hit by a car I would attack the driver too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ArisMom208
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Your maiden name is not going to save you dear, just a heads up on that. Your SS # follows you everywhere.......LOLOL.

I know that, but still. My names on nothing up here, and i live in a town with over 75k people. 

if he reports it i'm not going to hide, just saying im not scared.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
We play door check with the dogs down the road from us. We live down a farm road , those two idiot dogs chase every car that drives down it and bite the tires. I've watched them be flipped over I dunno how many times. Now when they get just close enough we swing the door open and clunk them on the butt lol.

At least it scares them away from the tires....
ATALHEA
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Idon't know about where you are from, but here there is a leash law. If the dog isn't on a leash then it is the owners fault. You are not at fault for a dog running out in the road.
christinad612
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Where was the guy that he saw you hit his dog but didn't see the dog charge you and scare you off? Why didn't he come help? Id have left too, dogs that are scared and or in pain are not their normal selves. Id report it first as a pp said, also no your name will not help you.
ArisMom208
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Quoting christinad612:

Where was the guy that he saw you hit his dog but didn't see the dog charge you and scare you off? Why didn't he come help? Id have left too, dogs that are scared and or in pain are not their normal selves. Id report it first as a pp said, also no your name will not help you.

I don't know, cause i looked for anybody around and there wasnt even a car there unless it was in the garage.

I'd think if you just watched your dog get hit you would come out and say something

The neighbors cars were home tho, so they may have saw it.

JLS2388
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Of course the dog tried to defend itself, you hit it!!! And it doesn't matter if it's in your maiden name, they can still find out and you will be in even more trouble. If you were really afraid, you should have called the police for help, not just driven off. I can tell you that in my state, hitting an animal and leaving the scene is a crime.

The.Hug.Life
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Yikes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Have you ever heard of humans having a fairly small accident and feel fine, but they are nearly paralyzed with pain 2 days later? Some injuries don't exhibit right away. I hope you offered to pay all vet bills.

Quoting ArisMom208:

Today i was driving my durango out to the lake. Its on backroads out in the country. I was driving, and being careful because even tho its 40 degrees outside, theres still random ice spots on the roads. I happened to look outside the side window for just a second and BAMM! I hit a dog. It was a great dane sized dog. It hit hard, and i didn't see the dog and my heart dropped (believe it or not, i am an animal lover) so i opened the door and the dog came charing at me, jumping up scratched the door and chased my truck biting at the tires. 

Like hell if i was going to get out to check on that dog. If it still had that much mean in it, it was good enough confirmation for me.  I got out to the lake, and a truck pulls up and starts writing down my plate numbers, i asked if there was a problem and he said i hit his dog and drove off without even checking if the dog was okay. I told him i DID hit his dog, i'm not gonna lie. However, i told him the dog charged and tried attacking me and i wasn't going to stay around with that shit. 

He took my plate number, and then got the dog out of his truck. The dog was nice, i apologized but explained the situation and he continued to bitch that its illegal and i could be charged with hit and run and that he plans on calling the police and seeing what action he should take. The dog was fine, could jump in the back of his lifted truck. 

And besides that, i still have out of plate licenses, so its not a curent address anyways.

JLS2388
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Absolutely not. Now, if the dog was in an area with leash laws, the owner could get a small fine for not having the dog on a leash but that is nothing compared with the fines OP will be facing.

Quoting toopicky429:

Hitting a dog is the dog owners fault unless I'm mistaken. If it did damage to your car you can go after them. In the dog's defense, if I had just been hit by a car I would attack the driver too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)