Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes i hit your dog, and no! i did not stop to check if it was okay!

Posted by   + Show Post

Today i was driving my durango out to the lake. Its on backroads out in the country. I was driving, and being careful because even tho its 40 degrees outside, theres still random ice spots on the roads. I happened to look outside the side window for just a second and BAMM! I hit a dog. It was a great dane sized dog. It hit hard, and i didn't see the dog and my heart dropped (believe it or not, i am an animal lover) so i opened the door and the dog came charing at me, jumping up scratched the door and chased my truck biting at the tires. 

Like hell if i was going to get out to check on that dog. If it still had that much mean in it, it was good enough confirmation for me.  I got out to the lake, and a truck pulls up and starts writing down my plate numbers, i asked if there was a problem and he said i hit his dog and drove off without even checking if the dog was okay. I told him i DID hit his dog, i'm not gonna lie. However, i told him the dog charged and tried attacking me and i wasn't going to stay around with that shit. 

He took my plate number, and then got the dog out of his truck. The dog was nice, i apologized but explained the situation and he continued to bitch that its illegal and i could be charged with hit and run and that he plans on calling the police and seeing what action he should take. The dog was fine, could jump in the back of his lifted truck. 

And besides that, i still have out of plate licenses, so its not a curent address anyways.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:51 PM

He was probably breaking leash laws.

You have no legal obligation to check the animals you accidentally hit. Only people.

Teacher101
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

You should have waited in your vehicle and looked for the owner. Obviously the owner knows you hit the dog. Perhaps you could have called out for an owner until someone heard you. That way the owner could have checked on his dog.

mary841108
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

you know here in my state if you hit a dog and keep driving you can get charged with his and run. and i'd bute your ass too if you hit me with your car. oh and you are trashy for not taking responsibility good job bitch!

haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

if he was going to call the police on you he would just call the police on you, not come after you and threaten to call the police on you. Besides, I really don't think you have a legal obligation to stop and check to see if an animal is ok if you hit it with your car. 

mary841108
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM

that is not true in the united states. some states would and will charge for a hit and run when you hit a dog. how do i know? my cousins are cops here and have arrested people for it

Quoting danie24:

He was probably breaking leash laws.

You have no legal obligation to check the animals you accidentally hit. Only people.

haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Quoting Teacher101:

You should have waited in your vehicle and looked for the owner. Obviously the owner knows you hit the dog. Perhaps you could have called out for an owner until someone heard you. That way the owner could have checked on his dog.

aint nobody got time for that 

ArisMom208
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Well i've talked to the police and if you saw my other reply, like i said, the cops said i don't have to report it because the dog was running wild in the country, and they tell farmers if a dog is on your property shoot and kill it so they obviously don't have too big of a problem with it. 

Quoting JLS2388:

Absolutely not. Now, if the dog was in an area with leash laws, the owner could get a small fine for not having the dog on a leash but that is nothing compared with the fines OP will be facing.

Quoting toopicky429:

Hitting a dog is the dog owners fault unless I'm mistaken. If it did damage to your car you can go after them. In the dog's defense, if I had just been hit by a car I would attack the driver too.

tharealty2
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Wonder how sweet you would be after being hit by a car., I mean truck.  Animals often get aggressive when hurt.

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM

If its out in the middle of no where I don't think they will do anything. If I tried to get out and the dog was trying to attack I can't blame you for driving off. When I was a kid my mom thought she hit this big German Shepherd and killed it, however when we pulled in the driveway to tell the owners the dog ran up and started barking and jumping all over the car so she realized she had to hit something else, but the dog was acting vicious (of course territorial can't blame him) and we left, then saw on our way out it had been a HUGE cat. The cat was like bob cat size. Sadly, no we couldn't tell the owner...it was also late at night and in the country.

Hopefully the dog is actually ok and if that happened I probably would offer to pay for vet bills but only with proof. I'm a huge animal lover as well. However, they can't actually get you for anything...

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Most states actually.

Quoting lenoxclan:

What state do you live in that you could be charge with hit and run for hitting a dog??!! LOL

That's crazy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)