Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes i hit your dog, and no! i did not stop to check if it was okay!

Posted by   + Show Post

Today i was driving my durango out to the lake. Its on backroads out in the country. I was driving, and being careful because even tho its 40 degrees outside, theres still random ice spots on the roads. I happened to look outside the side window for just a second and BAMM! I hit a dog. It was a great dane sized dog. It hit hard, and i didn't see the dog and my heart dropped (believe it or not, i am an animal lover) so i opened the door and the dog came charing at me, jumping up scratched the door and chased my truck biting at the tires. 

Like hell if i was going to get out to check on that dog. If it still had that much mean in it, it was good enough confirmation for me.  I got out to the lake, and a truck pulls up and starts writing down my plate numbers, i asked if there was a problem and he said i hit his dog and drove off without even checking if the dog was okay. I told him i DID hit his dog, i'm not gonna lie. However, i told him the dog charged and tried attacking me and i wasn't going to stay around with that shit. 

He took my plate number, and then got the dog out of his truck. The dog was nice, i apologized but explained the situation and he continued to bitch that its illegal and i could be charged with hit and run and that he plans on calling the police and seeing what action he should take. The dog was fine, could jump in the back of his lifted truck. 

And besides that, i still have out of plate licenses, so its not a curent address anyways.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Replies (31-40):
Schleetle
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Well darn... I hope the dog is okay, and everything works out alright.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM
This lol

Quoting brittany208:

I don't blame you. I'm scared of dogs though.

zoo003
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends upon where the OP lives.  According to my dh, who is a cop, all she needed to do was try to notify the owner.  Since it was a country road and she didn't see anyone around that could be an owner, she did all she was required to do-she checked to see if the dog was ok.  However, since the owner ended up finding her, and she told him that she did hit the dog, she fulfilled her obligation as far as the law is concerned.  Any other action would be a civil one.  However, if the owner decided to pursue a civil trial (which he would have a hard time doing since the dog was not on a leash and running free off of private property), she could also sue for any damage done to her vehicle due to the dog.    

Quoting JLS2388:

Absolutely not. Now, if the dog was in an area with leash laws, the owner could get a small fine for not having the dog on a leash but that is nothing compared with the fines OP will be facing.

Quoting toopicky429:

Hitting a dog is the dog owners fault unless I'm mistaken. If it did damage to your car you can go after them. In the dog's defense, if I had just been hit by a car I would attack the driver too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I'm not going to lie, you're a cruel and selfish person. Just because the dog appeared to be "fine" doesn't mean it didn't suffer some internal damage. 

DayDreamer1201
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Id do the same thing. No dog is going to try to attack me and succeed... If he was charing you and jumped into the owners truck it's probably fine. You did the right thing by calling the police tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Byrd15
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I thought about this driving today... If I hit a dog would I stop? Probably not, with a fussy 2 year old, 25 weeks pregnant and it being -10 degrees outside... Sorry... Keep your pups on a leash. :/

As someone else said, Id call and leave a report but thats it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

lenoxclan
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

huh. interesting.. Not mine thankfully. That's crazy.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Most states actually.

Quoting lenoxclan:

What state do you live in that you could be charge with hit and run for hitting a dog??!! LOL

That's crazy

save the date

mommaoftwo
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:18 PM

It was the damn dog's own fault, hopefully he knows to not run into a road anymore.

I would have done the same thing, now, if the dog was actually injured I would have called the cops and the animal control officer, until someone was able to bring it to the vet. But hell, it isn't my fault your dog ran into the road in front of my car.

OrientalLily
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Don't know how I would have handled it. Hopefully, I will never find out. I love animals, especially dogs. I tend to despise most people.
kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Most places have leash laws so you should be good. People need to keep control of their pets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN