Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes i hit your dog, and no! i did not stop to check if it was okay!

Posted by   + Show Post

Today i was driving my durango out to the lake. Its on backroads out in the country. I was driving, and being careful because even tho its 40 degrees outside, theres still random ice spots on the roads. I happened to look outside the side window for just a second and BAMM! I hit a dog. It was a great dane sized dog. It hit hard, and i didn't see the dog and my heart dropped (believe it or not, i am an animal lover) so i opened the door and the dog came charing at me, jumping up scratched the door and chased my truck biting at the tires. 

Like hell if i was going to get out to check on that dog. If it still had that much mean in it, it was good enough confirmation for me.  I got out to the lake, and a truck pulls up and starts writing down my plate numbers, i asked if there was a problem and he said i hit his dog and drove off without even checking if the dog was okay. I told him i DID hit his dog, i'm not gonna lie. However, i told him the dog charged and tried attacking me and i wasn't going to stay around with that shit. 

He took my plate number, and then got the dog out of his truck. The dog was nice, i apologized but explained the situation and he continued to bitch that its illegal and i could be charged with hit and run and that he plans on calling the police and seeing what action he should take. The dog was fine, could jump in the back of his lifted truck. 

And besides that, i still have out of plate licenses, so its not a curent address anyways.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Replies (51-60):
Nathans_mom0612
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM
If your state has a leash law then it's the owners fault.
mary841108
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM

my mistake, in NY it is cats as well here

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/opinion/when-a-dog-is-hit-by-a-car.html?_r=0

http://www.nytickethelp.com/2012/02/28/leaving-the-scene-of-an-accident-in-new-york/

Quoting danie24:

LOL - you're so full of shit. You cannot be arrested for accidentally hitting an animal while driving on the road.

It can be dangerous to stop and check on an animal you've hit. Dangerous because it's a strange animal. Dangerous because animals are more prone to bite when injured. And dangerous because you could get hit by a car, especially if it's a busy road or the highway.

Are we suppose to stop and check on chickens, cats, birds and raccoons, too?

If an owner is irresponsible and allows his pet to run free, without a leash, and someone hits it with a car accidentally, that person cannot get in trouble. The owner is completely at fault. And the OWNER can be sued for damages / mental anguish by the person who hit the animal.

Quoting mary841108:

that is not true in the united states. some states would and will charge for a hit and run when you hit a dog. how do i know? my cousins are cops here and have arrested people for it

Quoting danie24:

He was probably breaking leash laws.

You have no legal obligation to check the animals you accidentally hit. Only people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I can assure you that in some states you must exit your vehicle if you hit an animal or if you are afraid of the animal / on a busy road, you are obligated to call the police. In NYS that is the law. They made a big deal of it recently because a doctor hit and killed a skateboarder after drinking and tried to claim in court that he thought he hit an animal. The defense was shot down because in NYS, you have to check to see what you hit regardless if you think it was an animal or not. 

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM

How did the guy know it was you if he saw it happen... and if he saw it happen, why didn't he intervene when the dog was attacking you?

Makes very little sense on the owners part...

I'm going to watch my dog get hit after letting it run free...  then I'm going to watch the dog try to attack the person in the car... then I'm going to go out of my way to load the dog in my truck and follow the lady instead of making sure my dog (WHO JUST GOT HIT BY A DARN CAR) was alright...   JUST SO I could threaten her and such.

Really, what a jerk!

mary841108
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM

tell that to hippie canadian Danie...she doesnt believe that.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can assure you that in some states you must exit your vehicle if you hit an animal or if you are afraid of the animal / on a busy road, you are obligated to call the police. In NYS that is the law. They made a big deal of it recently because a doctor hit and killed a skateboarder after drinking and tried to claim in court that he thought he hit an animal. The defense was shot down because in NYS, you have to check to see what you hit regardless if you think it was an animal or not. 

shannonnigans
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Forgetting about fault for the moment, I'm not buying the "I'm an animal lover" line for an instant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmBoogRaysMommy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I wouldn't have checked on the damned dog eaither! Crazy animal. If he saw you hit the dog then he had to have seen the dog try to eat your tires as you drove away. Surely he can understand why you didn't get out of the car.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Several years ago I was on a back road (in Virginia).  I hit and killed a chicken.  It was late at night so I didn't stop but someone recognized my car or got the plates and about a week later I was charged with a misdemeanor.  I was also required to pay the owner for replacement of the chicken.  If I had not "run" I would not have been charged nor would I have had to pay the owner as the chicken was in the road.

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:41 AM

So why wasn't his dog on a leash... Isn't THAT illegal?? I have never heard of an animal hit and run being illegal. The owner sounds like a moron to me. 

brebugmom91
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:41 AM
You did stop and the dog was fine. I don't understand why he was mad. Anyone with a brain wouldn't get out of a car with a huge, strange dog jumping on it.

My dog was killed by someone speeding down our street. He didn't even slow down. THAT pissed me off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)