Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes i hit your dog, and no! i did not stop to check if it was okay!

Posted by   + Show Post

Today i was driving my durango out to the lake. Its on backroads out in the country. I was driving, and being careful because even tho its 40 degrees outside, theres still random ice spots on the roads. I happened to look outside the side window for just a second and BAMM! I hit a dog. It was a great dane sized dog. It hit hard, and i didn't see the dog and my heart dropped (believe it or not, i am an animal lover) so i opened the door and the dog came charing at me, jumping up scratched the door and chased my truck biting at the tires. 

Like hell if i was going to get out to check on that dog. If it still had that much mean in it, it was good enough confirmation for me.  I got out to the lake, and a truck pulls up and starts writing down my plate numbers, i asked if there was a problem and he said i hit his dog and drove off without even checking if the dog was okay. I told him i DID hit his dog, i'm not gonna lie. However, i told him the dog charged and tried attacking me and i wasn't going to stay around with that shit. 

He took my plate number, and then got the dog out of his truck. The dog was nice, i apologized but explained the situation and he continued to bitch that its illegal and i could be charged with hit and run and that he plans on calling the police and seeing what action he should take. The dog was fine, could jump in the back of his lifted truck. 

And besides that, i still have out of plate licenses, so its not a curent address anyways.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Replies (61-70):
layawatling
by Laya on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Then don't sweat it

I personally would have driven to the nearest home and asked if it was their dog & if not, called the police. Just me though.

Quoting ArisMom208:

Quoting Anonymous:

Just call the police now and make a report, tell them what happened. If you report it you won't be charged.

I called and talked to them and they said if the dog was running wild theres no need to report it. 

I could call back and tell them i want a report anyways, but they tell farmers if a dogs on your property you have the right to shoot and kill. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I would have done the same as you in this situation. I'm scared of dogs, so if one is running at me barking or growing I'm not going to stick around to see what he does to me.

maybe80
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM
The dog hit you.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I apologise. I was partially wrong.

You still don't have to stop, get out and check the animal as long as you report it to the police.

I would never, ever get out and check an aniaml I hit. I would not ever put my health or life at risk for something like that.

Quoting mary841108:

my mistake, in NY it is cats as well here

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/opinion/when-a-dog-is-hit-by-a-car.html?_r=0

http://www.nytickethelp.com/2012/02/28/leaving-the-scene-of-an-accident-in-new-york/

Quoting danie24:

LOL - you're so full of shit. You cannot be arrested for accidentally hitting an animal while driving on the road.

It can be dangerous to stop and check on an animal you've hit. Dangerous because it's a strange animal. Dangerous because animals are more prone to bite when injured. And dangerous because you could get hit by a car, especially if it's a busy road or the highway.

Are we suppose to stop and check on chickens, cats, birds and raccoons, too?

If an owner is irresponsible and allows his pet to run free, without a leash, and someone hits it with a car accidentally, that person cannot get in trouble. The owner is completely at fault. And the OWNER can be sued for damages / mental anguish by the person who hit the animal.

Quoting mary841108:

that is not true in the united states. some states would and will charge for a hit and run when you hit a dog. how do i know? my cousins are cops here and have arrested people for it

Quoting danie24:

He was probably breaking leash laws.

You have no legal obligation to check the animals you accidentally hit. Only people.

angevil53
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this
When did a dog become a person? The owner is 100% responsible for his dog.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I'm at a loss for words with the stupidity dripping in some of these responses.
1- the dog should not have been in the street... Owner's fault
2- you did stop to check on the dog so you cannot be "charged" or even accused of a hit and run
3- hitting a dog that is obviously not dead or too badly injured is not worthy of calling the police
4- you did your part...you stopped, you tried to explain the situation to the owner, you called the police once you were home safe.

I'm really not sure why so many people are making a big deal out of this. Leash law or not it's the owner's responsibility to keep his dog safe... Not yours.

If I'm driving down my street and a kid jumps out in front of me (it has happened several times at this one house) and I hit the kid, it's the parent's fault for not properly montoring their child. In fact, every time this happens I park my car and go back and yell at the parents who are completely oblivious that their child was almost killed...several times.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Hey, now!

Hippie Canadians are people, too!

Quoting mary841108:

tell that to hippie canadian Danie...she doesnt believe that.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can assure you that in some states you must exit your vehicle if you hit an animal or if you are afraid of the animal / on a busy road, you are obligated to call the police. In NYS that is the law. They made a big deal of it recently because a doctor hit and killed a skateboarder after drinking and tried to claim in court that he thought he hit an animal. The defense was shot down because in NYS, you have to check to see what you hit regardless if you think it was an animal or not. 

nurbabe82
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I would have told him go a head and call and then we can find out what the leash laws are at the same time. What is he going to tell the police," Yes officer I didn't have my dog on a leash and he ran out in front of a car. Oh and he's okay. Please, arrest/ticket the person that hit my dog that I didn't have on a leash and hasn't suffered any apparent injuries." LOL.

deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:55 AM

You could have called the spca since it tried to attack you but they might have taken the dog and put it down. Shame its after the fact that would have been a good come back.

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I wouldn't be scared either, but they will ask you for your name if he reports you. Once they have your name that is all they need.....and you don't have to have your name on anything for them to figure out who you are. Your car is linked to your address and your spouse and eventually you. ;)

Quoting ArisMom208:

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Your maiden name is not going to save you dear, just a heads up on that. Your SS # follows you everywhere.......LOLOL.

I know that, but still. My names on nothing up here, and i live in a town with over 75k people. 

if he reports it i'm not going to hide, just saying im not scared.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN