Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes i hit your dog, and no! i did not stop to check if it was okay!

Posted by   + Show Post

Today i was driving my durango out to the lake. Its on backroads out in the country. I was driving, and being careful because even tho its 40 degrees outside, theres still random ice spots on the roads. I happened to look outside the side window for just a second and BAMM! I hit a dog. It was a great dane sized dog. It hit hard, and i didn't see the dog and my heart dropped (believe it or not, i am an animal lover) so i opened the door and the dog came charing at me, jumping up scratched the door and chased my truck biting at the tires. 

Like hell if i was going to get out to check on that dog. If it still had that much mean in it, it was good enough confirmation for me.  I got out to the lake, and a truck pulls up and starts writing down my plate numbers, i asked if there was a problem and he said i hit his dog and drove off without even checking if the dog was okay. I told him i DID hit his dog, i'm not gonna lie. However, i told him the dog charged and tried attacking me and i wasn't going to stay around with that shit. 

He took my plate number, and then got the dog out of his truck. The dog was nice, i apologized but explained the situation and he continued to bitch that its illegal and i could be charged with hit and run and that he plans on calling the police and seeing what action he should take. The dog was fine, could jump in the back of his lifted truck. 

And besides that, i still have out of plate licenses, so its not a curent address anyways.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Replies (71-79):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Not to contradict you, but depending on the age of the child, you may be reponsible whether you like it or not, at least from an insurance standpoint. If the kid is old enough to know *not* to run into the street and they still do, legally it is their fault. If the child is little, say 4, for insurance purposes they are not considered self-aware enough to stay away from the street. It is absolutely their parents' job to keep them away, but it is also your responsiblity as the driver to not hit things.

My husband is an auto insurance lawyer and he and I debate this stuff all the time. I always argue that it's not fair, etc. but in most instances in the eyes of the insurance company, you can't hit things with your car, even if they are not supposed to be there. Of course, there are always exceptions, but this is pretty standard.

Animals and people are not the same thing in the eyes of an insurance company. Animals don't know the difference between a street and a lawn.

Presley77
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I would have stopped and looked out my windows to see if I could find an owner. Driving off is not ok IMO. But maybe if you explain to the police what happened it will be ok. I can see why you drove off even if I dont think you should have. A charging dog is scary!

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM

If the dog had been on a leash, in a fenced yard or in a house he would not have been on the road to be hit! Totally the guy's fault. He's lucky you aren't sueing him for damage to you or your car-a$$hat!

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The dog had just been hit by a car and was hurting, so yes, it might be aggressive and try to bite you. You don't approach a strange hurt animal. That doesn't give you an excuse to just drive away and not do anything about it. Instead stay in your car and contact the police, let them know what happened, file a report, and drive to the nearest house to ask if they know whom the dog belongs to so that person can come get their dog and take it to the vet if needed. Thats the responsible thing to do.

fallenstars
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM
I would have atleast beeped the horn and seen if anyone came out....rolled down the window something.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fallenstars
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM
This

Quoting LucyHarper:

The dog had just been hit by a car and was hurting, so yes, it might be aggressive and try to bite you. You don't approach a strange hurt animal. That doesn't give you an excuse to just drive away and not do anything about it. Instead stay in your car and contact the police, let them know what happened, file a report, and drive to the nearest house to ask if they know whom the dog belongs to so that person can come get their dog and take it to the vet if needed. Thats the responsible thing to do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sampson200
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM

If anything HE would be charged for allowing his dog to run loose.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM

It is a dog...some of you women kill me. 

OP- I wouldn't have stuck around either if a huge dog was damaging my car and trying to bite me.  If anything the owner needs to pay for the damages on your vehicle since he felt it was okay to let the dog run loose.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM
I don't stop either if I hit a dog. I don't swerve or slow down either for safety reasons. That animal better move. And no, it's not a hit and run. The dog owner was simply being a jerk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN